new MBP glass screen question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by astromoose, Nov 8, 2008.

1. astromoose macrumors member

astromoose

I have not had a chance to see one in person.

It seems like everyone makes a point about the non matte screen. We have all gotten used to matte LCD screens over the past few years.

My question is, is the glass display on the new machine really any worse/different/better than working on a CRT?

Thanks.

2. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

For me, it's the same as working on a CRT from yesteryear.

3. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Yeah it's amazing we were ever able to get any work done with the old CRT monitors. :rolleyes:

4. vista.john macrumors regular

Don't know about others. I love the screen. I've owned previous generation glossy Macbook, matte 15 ich, 17 inch macbook pro. I rate this glassy MBP the best among them. I love CRT more than regular LCD screen. This to me is close to old time high quality CRT screen.

5. kousuke18 macrumors regular

best for you to check it out in person then to ask for others opinion cause everyone has their own personal views on the glassy screen. some love it to death and well some are not so fond of it. I have seen the new unibody macbook and macbook pros and imo they are more reflective than the original glossy mb/mbp and even more so than the old crt monitors i've owned before.... but of course that is my opinion.

6. vm7118 macrumors regular

kinda hard for one glass to be more glossy than another glass, right?

there's really nothing wrong with them. EVERY single CRT monitor in the 90's was glossy, and they weren't any glossier than the glass over the new MBP screens now. not bad at all. sure, it is reflective in some conditions, but it looks beautiful.

7. silentsage macrumors member

The new glass screen MBPs are very much like the old flat screen CRTs and the Sony Trinitrons. Remember how everyone though they were so great?

8. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

It's much easier to take a self-portrait on these monitors.

9. vm7118 macrumors regular

those sony trinitrons were fantastic... had several over the years. 2 19" CRT's still produce colors as true as ever (after a good degaussing) and my girlfriend inherited my old 27" WEGA (VEGA?) tv.

i moved it into her place 2 years ago... i had forgotten how heavy those things were. and that was just a 27"!

10. iPhoneyboy macrumors member

I was totally opposed to it (when announced). Then I saw it, and decided it wasn't that bad. In most lighting, when viewing it straight on, there is no reflection issue for me. Now that I have it, I love the vibrant colors and I have absolutely no problems with reflections. Also you can adjust the brightness so high it will blind you! That can help with different lighting conditions. I am completely happy with glass (gloss) screen. And thats something coming from someone who previously owned only matt screens.

11. astromoose thread starter macrumors member

astromoose

I had one of those 19" trinitrons for years and loved it. Got it back when 19" was HUGE! Ha i also have one of those WEGA standard def sony TV's, mine is 36" and I just moved. That thing weighs a ton. I have it sitting on the floor right now because I'm afraid anything I have here to put it on would collapse.

12. moclippa macrumors member

Very rich color pallet on these screens, great brightness, and easy to clean.

Any sort of light behind you and you may get annoyed. I'm not a long time Matte user so I can't find much to complain about, but yes those reflections do come through. So far its better then any CRT I've ever used, but thats just a matter of personal taste I think, purely a subjective judgment until someone finds someone pulls up hard numbers to compare.

13. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

These new screens rock. GET OVER THE GLOSSY ISSUE!!!
    A) It really doesn't matter on 6-bit screens
    B) They are actually better in bright light, you just a reflection rather than a faded screen.

14. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i saw a new mbp a few weeks ago and it was sitting next to a glossy 17". to me there was very little difference between them, if any. both had reflections obviously, but nothing horrible.