New MBP Gone Awry - This Is A Nightmare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NateDogX, Apr 23, 2010.

1. NateDogX macrumors member

Well, at least I got about five minutes with my new MBP until it totally kicked the bucket. Here's what happened with the new mac I got from Amazon.com.

1. Began watching a video on IGN.com
    2. Went to begin a software update.
    3. Downloaded the numerous update items.
    4. Tried to install but it said I had to restart first. I wanted to finished the interview instead.
    5. I clicked "Not Now"
    6. The little pinwheel showed up and sat there for a good five minutes.
    7. I held down the power button and the computer turned off.
    8. I turned it back on and got the prohibited sign after it sat on the Apple logo for a good while.
    9. I've tried reinstalling Mac OS X a few times. I've gotten several errors messages including the disk can't be written to and a general "Install Failed" screen.
    10. I then totally erased the HDD using the disk utility on the install disk.
    11. Mac OS X is currently installing after the 10th step with 34 minutes left. A minute ago it said 33 minutes.

Any help would be appreciated. Can't believe this happened on the first night with my first Mac and the new MB.

Biggest question: if it successfully installs, do I take it to the Apple store (can I even take it there since it was bought on Amazon or would the manufacturer's warranty cover it) tomorrow anyway? Also, what in the hell happened?

Oh, and in the time from step 11 to this, it's ticked up to 35 minutes.

Yay.

2. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

bad hard drive is my guess.

try running hardware diagnostics?

3. NateDogX thread starter macrumors member

Did that with the disk utilities. Hard drive checked out okay. It's very strange. The counter is now on 26 minutes, over halfway done on the progress bar.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

dont trust the progress bar - it "guesstimates" how long it will take based on I/O divided by overall I/O.

personally i recommend reinstalling the OS when you get it.. just makes sure that its clean.

5. NateDogX thread starter macrumors member

When I get what? The OS is resinstalling right now. I'm confused...

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

He means when you get a new computer, reformat and install. You'll get some naysayers but I do that with every new Mac.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea thanks man, it = computer!

8. NateDogX thread starter macrumors member

So I shouldn't have a problem bringing the computer to an Apple store in SF? I'd assume that the manufacturer's warranty is still valid when purchased from amazon, but wasn't sure.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup that should be fine :D

10. NateDogX thread starter macrumors member

How incredibly annoying! Been looking forward to my first Mac for some time now. Very unfortunate. And yes, Install Failed screen appeared again

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Don't fix it. Take it back. If you fix your lemon, and then you take it to the Apple Store, what are they going to do other than think you're there complaining for no reason? Show them the "yield" symbol that's on your screen and let them either fix it properly, or replace it.

All the smart people do. ;)

Some people just use an image of their old hard disk so that they don't need to install anything, but that affects everything from screen brightness to sound volume.

I read that "early review" of a new 15" MBP from another thread, and he said his volume wasn't as loud. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it may be due to the fact that he copied his old drive over and won't listen to people who suggested to do a clean install. :rolleyes:

Remember when people were complaining about the screen brightness of the new Unibody MBPs when they were first released (particularly the 17" MBP)?? In that instance, it was caused by not having a clean install. Apple stores just copy an image off one of their MBPs (eg: a 15" MBP model) and just mirror that drive over to all the 15" MBPs, but also the 13" and 17" MBPs. It totally screws with how the volume and screen brightness are tuned in their specific hardware config. :eek:

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Yep. Sounds like a bad hard drive.

Sadly this can happen anytime, anywhere, to any brand. Its rare for a new one to fail but it happens.

Honestly though its better it fails now and gets replaced rather then after you have stuff on it.

13. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

The fact that your install failed indicates without a doubt that its either a bad hard drive or bad memory. I'm actually leaning towards bad memory, just because I've never had a hard drive fail whereas I've had 3-4 sticks of memory go bad. Note that this wasn't on an OEM-built computer, but still, memory is known to go bad all the time, and can cause a whole *****torm of issues ranging from crashes to failed installs to lock-ups to you name it. Either way, definitely take it back to the Apple store.

14. petrelli18 macrumors newbie

so what do you mean about reformatting right off the bat. im sorry im not really a computer guy, but my new MBP is on the way from apple.ca. when i get it, out of the box, what are you saying to do?

sorry if this is a stupid question...

15. NateDogX thread starter macrumors member

I didn't know about the erase and install either. So basically when I get my new MacBook tomorrow I should put in the OS X install disk and erase everything using the Disk Utilities and going to the "Erase" tab. Then resintall both the OS and the applications from the applications disc?

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

there are 2 basic things you can do when you get the machine.
    1. boot from the OSX install disc that comes with your machine - open up "disk utility" and format the hard drive. this will completely erase the FileSystem. from there you start again - install OSX. and away you go.
    2. you can just reinstall OSX without reformatting. this basically just deletes all the files and reinstalls them.

the difference? #1 is more "safe". it ensures that everything truely is starting for scratch. it takes roughly 5mins extra to do.

your call really.. id recommend the format way. just seems more secure and reliable.

yes, install the OSX disc then applications disc (that has iLife etc on it).

17. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

What to do...

Learn to go to apple.com/support or search google. I made you a shortcut tho... This is taken from the straight from the Mac Installation and Setup guide written by Apple and retrieved from apple.com/support>click on Mac OS on the left side of the page>click on the OS you need help with. All copyrights reside with Apple blah blah blah.

1 Insert the Mac OS X installation disc, and then double-click the Install Mac OS X icon.
    2 In the Installer, click Utilities, and then click Restart. 3 When the Language Chooser appears, select your language, and then click the
    Continue button (looks like an arrow).
    4 Choose Utilities > Disk Utility.
    5 Select your disk from the list on the left, and then click the Erase tab.
    6 Select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format pop-up menu, type a name for your disk, and then click Erase.
    After the disk has been erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility, and then follow the instructions in the Mac OS X Installer to reinstall Mac OS X.

Seriously tho, search apple.com/support- there's a wealth of knowledge there, and also google it.

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

do those guides say to reformat/reinstall WHEN they first get their computer?

i dont think so....

it also doesnt say which method is better... thats why he asked the question here :D

19. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

When you do this you will have a chance to save some disk space too. You can customize the install and uncheck foreign languages, unnecessary printer drivers, garage band sounds and whatever you don't need. If you need them later you can always install them from the disc.

20. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

This is a good one: Start with a clean system

21. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

That wasn't my point.

My point wasn't why you should install when receiving a new MB. Just a how to reinstall... Simmer down. :cool:

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I forget the names of the options, but there are a few.

Do a full install. Based on the descriptions they give you, choose the cleanest install possible.

The other old favourite is Archive and Install. Great for when you want to reinstall the OS without actually writing over your preferences. However this is NOT what you want to use now.

23. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Wirelessly posted (nokia e63: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE63-1/100.21.110; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

haha forgive me. Alcohol + macrumors dont really go

24. ChristWolves macrumors regular

I have encountered this personally where the Mac will first freeze and gives you a beachball when you're in OSX. When you powered it off and turn it on again, the Apple logo will first appear which turns into a prohibited sign.

This simply means that your HDD has got a hurt, real BAD~

Try inserting a Linux disc ( I used uBuntu) and scan for bad sectors. I am very sure you will get some on the hard drive. There is only one place it can go: Apple Store!

Hope that helps.

25. spooky69 macrumors member

I thought that they would receive boxed products with the system pre-installed and ready to sell. Are you suggesting that they remove the products from the box, mirror a system onto a blank disc and then carefully repackage them? Really?

I used to do a fresh install with Windows machines simply because of all the rubbish that came pre-installed - happy to have the iLife stuff on here so I didn't do this with my MBP. What advantage would a fresh install have if you are happy with the pre-installed software?