New MBP has SLOWER Wifi than last year's MB Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ginkobiloba, Nov 3, 2016.

1. ginkobiloba macrumors 6502

ginkobiloba

2. cmaier macrumors G4

3. jerryk macrumors 68040

And how many users see 1.3 Gbps on their Wifi network? Maybe if you are the only one on and you and the access point are in the same Faraday cage. In the real world this difference will have minimal impact.

4. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I would not consider myself a power user. Wifi speeds through Verizon come in about 7mbps, I am able to view YouTube videos at 1440p with zero buffering, I am happy with the new MBP performance with regards to that.

5. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Can we please just stop giving Apple reasons to charge us more for less. Pretty please?

6. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

Idiots - who agrees with getting less for more!? APPLE USERS! YAY!!!!

7. ginkobiloba thread starter macrumors 6502

ginkobiloba

I'm really a hidden closet fanboy, but this is getting too much for me lately.

8. el-John-o macrumors 65816

The speed of Wireless AC isn't about being able to saturate a super fast 10Gb fiber connection or something folks. It's about file transfers.

For example, I have a NAS (Network Attached Storage) in my home that stores video and photos that I use. I use locally attached storage (USB 3.0 currently; contemplating an upgrade to a Thunderbolt RAID array) for 'working' data, and other data is stored on the NAS. Sometimes I need to move data from the USB 3.0 drives down to the server, or vice versa. Before wireless AC, I had to use ethernet if I wanted to get it done in a reasonable amount of time. Despite the theoretical max, 1.0Gbps ethernet is still faster than 1.2Gbps Wireless AC in my cases (since I can saturate Gigabit ethernet and run right at the max, but can't come close on Wireless AC); but nevertheless, Wireless AC is finally fast enough that it's reasonably useful even without running an ethernet cable.

Losing performance on Wi-Fi is definitely a problem for some users. However, those users are probably less likely to be using the base model 13" MacBook Pro. I'm sure Apple figures, anyone doing content creation and working with lots of data stored on a network, are going to at LEAST be using the Touchbar 13" model with it's faster CPU, et al; and more than likely, the 15" model. Now I'm not justifying this at all. There's never a good reason for less performance. Just saying that I can't imagine many users at all 'noticing' the difference, and those that would, probably won't own this model.

The 13" Base model has become the "Macbook Air", heck, Phil Schiller even said so. I'm curious of the 13" TouchBar model will include the faster wi-fi.

9. leman macrumors G3

Well, for the non-touch MBP its probably ok, if that is the price for getting Bluetooth 4.2. However, I am very concerned about the 15" model now. I have a gigabit connection and I regularly use it to transfer files between various servers over WIFI. Kicking out a steam would actually mean a noticeable regression for me.

10. ConnorMcJeebus macrumors regular

ConnorMcJeebus

I think that's the OP's point - the entry level Pro is supposed to be the new Air, but the new Air has slower WiFi than last year's Air.

After seeing how some people are happy to let Apple get away with some of this stuff, it's no wonder why Apple does it.

Apple: "Our research shows that most people use more consonants than vowels, so we're going to sell vowels separately for $100 each."

THAT Apple fan: "That's totally reasonable. The average person only really uses consonants. I don't even need vowels for people to understand what I'm typing. If you need that many vowels, you're typing wrong. It's no big deal! Apple IS a business after all..."

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How about we check out the technical reasons for this? There's clearly a different radio or controller chip in there, so lets let chip works figure it out.

12. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Honestly, them putting another controller chip in there which ends up limiting them to slower wifi doesn't make them look much better.

13. leman macrumors G3

I assume that they wanted to have Bluetooth 4.2 in and there were no chips that did both that and three stream WiFi?

14. idunn macrumors 6502

"But when you dig down to find the root cause of most people's angst, it’s less about the new MacBook Pros individually and more about the way Apple has been treating the Mac lineup in general for the last two or three years."
    — per MacRumors, from article

Good article, and assessment.

I'll cut to the chase; the author suggests the better option is a 2015 MBP.

As well, that the iPad—no surprise—remains compromised in getting real work done.

15. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

That is a bit of a surprise. I wonder if battery life was a factor there too?
    I bet there are not many people who would actually be affected by this in real life but it's still surprising. If you're just streaming movies from Netflix it's irrelevant.

How many people here are using NAS?

16. Ries macrumors 68000

Well not many people use the speed of TB3/USB-C either, so lets limit them to 5Gbps.

17. mrex, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016

mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

i dont live in a F-cage, and my router is not using 100% for antenna at the moment.. this is what i get with mbpr (2014)

IMG_1852.jpg

And definitely i dont want go slower... i move large files via wifi and want having a stable and fast connection.

they should go faster and having mu-mimo support rather than cutting the speed.

i do.

18. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

[​IMG]

19. ConnorMcJeebus macrumors regular

ConnorMcJeebus

20. torana355 Suspended

"and 867Mbps 802.11ac Wi-Fi. This is the same speed as the MacBook and the 2015 MacBook Air, and it's a downgrade from the 1.3Gbps Wi-Fi in 2015's 13-inch MacBook Pro"

I think you have misread the article, the wifi is the same speed as the 2015 Air, its a downgrade from last years MBP.

21. jerryk macrumors 68040

I also have the same LINK speed. But in reality the throughput rate are dramatically slower, maybe 50%. I am going to guess yours are also.

I ado agree about the bonding through. We really should have this everywhere by now.

I run 2 gigabit Ethernet connections on my NAS to increase performance. I would love to have the same effect on wireless.

22. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

downgrade 50% from slower speed what you get from 867. slower, and even slower...

23. jerryk macrumors 68040

If only it were linear. But it's not.

24. NickPhamUK macrumors 6502

NickPhamUK

Some of you lunatic fans is the reason why we can't have nice things. With all the Apple milking us.

25. mrex macrumors 68030

mrex

it doesnt matter if it was gaussian, it is still slower than earlier that atlease i dont except if im going to buy a new computer to replace the older one. this is supposed to be "future proof" as having 4 usbc replacing all other ports.

but surely.. it is not much in a reality, but usually it goes to the other direction with new stuff. and especially when 4k stuff is at the door.