New MBP HDD 7200, 320 gig?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by coachingguy, Oct 19, 2009.

1. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Okay, I've searched through many threads and I've not found this question answered...

My Late '08 MBP is rapidly running out of HD room, I'm looking to upgrade and want at least a 7200 rpm, 320 gig.

Now I've looked at Macsales (OWC) and Newegg, I've bought from OWC for many years and Newegg a few times. Both have good prices.

I've narrowed my choices down to Seagate and WD, what luck have the masses had with either brand? Are there others I should consider, Hitachi?

I need to do this soon, so please give me some info I can apply soon.

Thanks,

Coachingguy

2. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

WD and Seagate are your best bets. Check out the blue Scorpio or black 'something' (cant think of the name and i don't feel like looking it up)

newegg is often the best place for these hdd's.

Also since the stock hdd only lasted you less than a year maybe you should look into getting a 2.5" 500GB 7200 rpm drive. They don't cost much more.

3. Scippy macrumors regular

I would go with the WD.
    Both brands are good, but the hard drive I have from WD runs a bit cooler than my Seagate hard drive.

4. cutlassvillager macrumors member

I bought a 320 GB WD Scorpio Black for my first generation MacBook Pro and I've been very pleased. The speed improvement was noticeable during startup and launching apps. The HD is also pretty quiet and doesn't seem to run much hotter than my original drive. Also, I haven't really noticed a difference in battery life. I would suggest buying your replacement drive without the free-fall sensor since some drives seem to conflict with the MacBook's free fall sensors.

5. coachingguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Thanks for the all the advice! I'll be ordering tonight and letting you know how it goes!

Coachingguy