New MBP Heat Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joshwest, Jun 11, 2007.

1. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

Hey Guy's i went to my Local Apple Store and both new Versions of the 15" glossy and matte had toasty wrist rest. Is anyone having heat problems with th new mbp's?

2. PDE macrumors 68020

I think they're about the same, if not a tiny bit cooler but that could be totally subjective. In other words, they're not cool but also not scorching hot.

3. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

Why can't Apple fix the heat issues? Even if it would require a new case?

4. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

There's always going to be heat. A new case won't help much, especially since everyone likes aluminum.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My HUGE Dell Latitude D800 has a toasty wrist rest as well. You more then likely hit the spot over the hard drive.

6. shiato storm macrumors member

one might assume that over all there is no major problem...since one can argue there's little point fixing what isn't broken then its a non-starter. that said have you seen how much there is crammed into one of these things? is it any surprise it does heat up a bit?...I suspect its a fair compromise...

7. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I have a new core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz 15" that replaced my core 2 duo 2.33Ghz and it runs slightly cooler. not much heat is generated and the machine is silent in general use, however put the machine under load ( WoW for example) and it does become hot and you start to hear the fans. I was hoping that the new machines would be more efficient and hence generate less heat / fan noise under load, and while the new machine is a little more quiet, it is not by much. However my brother came to stay over the weekend and he brought his Dull laptop with him and that generated significantly more noise than my new Mac Book Pro, so I have come to accept the heat and noise when under load.

8. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

My MBP 2.33ghz runs way cool. I did notice the new MBP at the Apple store did run warmer. Maybe the new video card?

9. HFU macrumors regular

It's been fixed since C2D MBP. There is no issue with existing case design.

10. Sopranino macrumors 6502

The aluminum case also acts as a heat sink which is why they can feel warm to the touch.

Aluminum makes an excellent heat dissipator due to its ability to heat up and cool off rapidly.

Sopranino

11. chem macrumors regular

I've posted this info in a couple other heat-related threads:

I load tested a SR MBP at a local Apple store, running 3 quicktime videos and one Final Cut Pro demo video to fully load the CPU (and GPU). Monitored the temp with istat. The MBP was on a flat display table and the store was your usual mall room temp.

The CPU ran between 82-91C, averaging about 84C. Really high. Has anyone else seen this? Has anyone opened a new MBP up to inspect the thermal paste application? Would the Apple Store exchange a brand-new MBP for a new one, if running at 85C or higher was its only problem? I am worried about buying a new MBP now, because of heat. The new T61 Thinkpad is supposed to run cool.

12. Sopranino macrumors 6502

Yikes!! that is really HOT. Does anyone out there know what the expected operating temperature range is supposed too be? It may be that under that kind of load that the reported temperature is fine. (I personally think that it might be a bit high) The hottest that I've ever managed to get my PB G4 was a leg blistering 72C.

Sopranino

13. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

That is rather warm. I know with my current MBP the hottest I got this thing was full load for over 2 hours encoding a movie was 84c. Currently I'm running at 41c with no load. I played wow last night and the hottest it got was around 72c.

I can say this.. the 12" Powerbook Rev A has been the hottest laptop I have ever owned. My wife uses it as a bed warmer during the winter. :)

14. mrdinh macrumors regular

i just bought the 17" 2.5ghz mbp too...doesn't take long to get hot!...right now all i do is surf the web and gets hot!

guess that is normal?...

15. SuperAce macrumors newbie

If you would like to be able to control fan speed, which can cool down your computer considerably, try the Fan Control application. It has been discussed previously. I believe the default speed on MacBook Pro's is about 1500 RPM. I am using this application on my Santa Rosa based 17-inch MBP and has cooled it down. Just remember that your battery will drain much faster since your fans are spinning faster. I have my base speed set at 2,000 RPM, a lower threshold of 48 degrees celsius and upper threshold of 78 degrees celsius. This is cool enough to put on my lap when I need to.

16. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I got a MBP pretty recently, before the very newest revision came out. This was a replacement for an older single-core model. This new one runs MUCH cooler than the old one. Not sure about the very newest revision, but I can't imagine too much is different from what I have now.

17. Techsavyfreak macrumors member

fans should kick in if it gets too hot though...

18. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I noticed that after switching out the stock hdd in my mbp that the hole in the hdd was blocked and I unblocked it with my new 7k200 travelstar and now the wrist area is very cool to touch.