New MBP - High-end or mid-grade? The $244 question...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by anth, Oct 22, 2008.

1. anth macrumors member

I've been approved for student ADC membership, and I'm now certain that I am buying a MBP (need FW for external drives and it will essentially be my only computer, so the 15" is appreciated).

Now for the real decision - what specs to get? I know that I'm getting 4gb of ram either way, and I planned on getting a 320gb 7200 rpm HD.

I've narrowed down my choices to:

1) Less Expensive
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (3MB L2 Cache)
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    320GB Serial ATA @ 5400
    9600M GT with 256MB
    $1799

OR

2) Faster
    2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (6MB L2 Cache)
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    320GB Serial ATA @ 7200
    9600M GT with 512MB
    $2039

Originally, I figured I'd just go with the first configuration, then noticed it was "only" another $244 to bump up to the next. The dollar amount difference isn't a huge deal, but if it's absolutely pointless, $244 is $244. FWIW, I do a fair amount of work poking around molecular datasets (some work with sequences, tree building, and microarray data). I also use photoshop a fair amount, and will be doing a small amount of video editing.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,

Anthony

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Go with the 2.53.
    Notice this difference:
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed; or 2.53GHz or 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 6MB shared L2 cache

Also with online stores like MacMall.com you could also buy it without paying taxes, or take advantage of some of the mail in rebates they have.

3. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

what are you smoking macmall will cost him hundreds more you cant get adc prices anywhere but apple.

i would go with the 2.53 the video ram is worth that much alone. ant the faster processor and l2 cache is a bonus. dont by apple care through the adc store it is more than the normal edu store. the faster processor will help with photoshop and video edit

4. anth thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tips guys! Yeah, I'll be getting it through ADC, not MacMall.

JBrenn, I too noticed that Applecare was cheaper with the regular educational discount - very odd...

Cheers,

Anthony