New MBP; High Pitched Whine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Habusho, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Habusho macrumors 6502

Ok, so I've been enjoying my MBP (2nd one after the first had dust behind the glass) and today I just noticed something. When the monitor dims let's say after a minute and I touch the keyboard or mouse the monitor comes back to its normal brightness but a high pitched whine happens. It's kind of like the sound of turning on a camera flash for the first time. I'm now actually hearing it when it's normally working too, a little less but I still hear it. It changes pitch when I scroll the screen. Anybody else notice this? Should I bother taking it to Apple?

When I adjust the brightness I just realized it makes it happen. As soon as the brightness hits the highest 2-3 notches it sounds like a freaking camera flash turning on.

2. iwanttogarden macrumors member

It's probably the hard drive initializing. All MBPs or Apple laptops for that matter make a sound when it comes out of sleep (though I wouldn't classify it as a whining noise).

3. Habusho thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not the hard drive. I know what the HD sounds like. Plus, the HD isn't put to sleep yet. It's after 15 seconds of no movement that it dims the screen. As soon as the screen goes back to original brightness it's a high pitched sound. It's exactly like those old camera flashes that when you turned on they would make that sound.

4. iwanttogarden macrumors member

I'm a new MBP owner and I have to say in a dead silent room, the MBP makes a very low hum. Which is easily dismissed if you don't focus your ears on it. (This is normal/casual use, browsing, etc. I've yet to hear the fans kick in, but I haven't done anything hardware intensive yet.)

So I guess you could you try for another replacement? since it's definitely not normal, at least on my end.

5. mklnz macrumors regular

6. msizzle64 macrumors 6502

msizzle64

It's the display's inverter. happened to my old macbook pro. took it to the apple store and they replaced the display. since yours is new, they'll just replace it...again.

7. Habusho thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, they won't replace it. I just talked to Applecare. They're saying it's past the 14day return. The 14days since I ordered the first MBP that was faulty, not since receiving the replacement. The problem comes and goes and I didn't bother taking it to the Genius bar just to not be able to show it to them while I'm there. I thought we're paying so much more money for Apple quality? I guess not.

8. msizzle64 macrumors 6502

msizzle64

then apple care should repair it.