New MBP = Hot Potato!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iViking, Oct 19, 2008.

1. iViking macrumors 6502

I love the performance and look of the new MBP but it's another one of those "hot" MBPs.

All I'm doing is MS Word, and Safari, and then no MS Word and just Safari and still the fans spins and the whole left side is hot. The bottom is really hot--too hot to keep on my lap. I wonder if it's just because it is plugged in. The battery power seems to run cooler.

Why do all of the Rev A models seem to run so hot? My Macbook 2.4 Ghz was cool to the touch all the time, except when charging the battery.

Anyway, has anyone else with a new MBP noticed how hot it's running?

2. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Mine is very cool. I can't feel any heat on the bottom and it runs about 40 degrees celsius. Cooler than my previous MBP

3. damado macrumors 6502

I've been running it on my lap for 2 hours now and it's not hot at all...reason being I set it to better battery life in the energy saver page.

If I have it on high performance, it gets really hot. Otherwise, it's great. If yours is still really hot in battery saver mode, something might be wrong, or you might have some intensive operations running. I'm just using word safari adium and mail. So nothing that really taxes anything.

4. iViking thread starter macrumors 6502

How do you measure how hot/cool it runs?

5. samwich macrumors regular

Download the iStat Pro widget to view the temp

6. nitewolfgtr macrumors regular

nitewolfgtr

Great... I hope this doesn't happen to my new MBP... :(

Are you sure you're using the MBP on a flat surface like a desk instead of on a bed?

7. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

um.. by placing a thermometer on the ass-side of your MBP :p

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Mine is fine on my lap, especially during light work. You don't have the 9600 GT on, do you? You really only need it for gaming and 3D effects in stuff like Final Cut. The IGP is fine for daily use, and really cuts down the operating temp.

9. iViking thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's on a desk.

But I switched to "Best Battery Life" as one user suggested and the temperature dropped significantly. It's gone from hot to warm. Warm works for me. Too bad I don't live in the Midwest.

10. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

anyone run iStat yet ?

Did you say it runs cooler when its running off the battery ? just a thought that power to the 9600GT might be cut when it runs on battery , causing the cooler experience

By that I take it yours runs hot when you have the 9600 GT on ?

11. iViking thread starter macrumors 6502

How do you enable/disable it?

12. iViking thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, that worked.

13. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

It's still better than my buddy's Whitebook, but it's noticeably toastier than with the 9400. Idling with the 9600M is about the same or maybe a few degrees hotter than under load with the 9400M. It's still not unbearable, but I don't think I'd game in my boxers with this on my lap. :)

smcFanControl helps too.

14. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

whoa , sounds hot , protect the investments ;) :D , ...I thought those new cases where meant to dissipate the heat better , making them cooler (if that makes any sense ? )

15. akashhhhh macrumors member

So, what would happen if I disabled the 9600 in Vista? Would it default to the 9400?

16. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

istat menus