New MBP: How long before I can actually get my hands on it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by huffhuff, Jan 22, 2010.

1. huffhuff macrumors member

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been answered before - I did try searching.

Let's assume they do release new upgraded specs for the MBP next week (I hope so as i've been holding back buying one for months). How long from when they say, this will be the new spec in the MBP range until I can actually order and get it in my hands? Do they go on sale that day? Is there a wait for manufacture? Blah blah blah

Cheers guys

Ben

2. Surely Guest

Surely

Who knows.... March?

And you searched? Really?

3. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

No offense but... you didnt search.... considering theres like a million threads asking the same thing...

I dont even know why people ask this question.. we all know how secretive Apple are when it comes to releases etc and any sort of info.. so how would we know?

4. maghemi macrumors 6502

5. ttttttttttt9 macrumors member

As someone who asked a similar question in another thread, I suggest people consider the possibility that what we are asking is not whether you can see into the future, but what Apple's history is for this kind of thing.

For a routine, more or less scheduled refresh happening at the same time as a major unrelated announcement, has there been much of a wait? Has shipping gone smoothly?

6. amorcito macrumors regular

Well, for one thing.. bestbuy.com no longer has any 17" MBP's in stock. I checked this last week and saw each store either having 1 or none. Now the site does not even have the 17" listed. A shortage perhaps? Hopefully this signals that the 17" is due to be refreshed.

7. ttttttttttt9 macrumors member

The OP assumes a refresh, and the question is about likely (from past experience) timelines from the 27th to typing on a fancy new MBP.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're asking when apple will actually deliver an update MBP which they haven't even yet officially announced? You ask a question that no one can actually answer.

It could be ready the day the announce it, it could be one, two three weeks after said announcement. We don't even know when the announcement is going to be. People have all but assumed that its the 27th and it may very well be but it may not.

Instead of asking this question which has been asked (and the answers were the same in the those threads - we don't know) wait until apple actually provides the official answer.

9. Winters macrumors member

I think he actually wants to know how apple has done in the past about delivery of a new laptop after its announcement, to use as a reference point.

10. UKBeast macrumors 6502

I will go to London next thurstday so I want to buy it in london at that time.

I would like know if i can buy it or not

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

And apple has in the past provided immediate delivery, and delivery dates that extended months after the announcement. The point being is that nobody really knows when apple will unveil an arrandale based MBP let alone provide availability information.

I remember waiting a month and a half for a new Powerbook and when the first MacBooks came out, I believe they were available for immediate purchase from apple. That is only apple knows this info and they're not talking (yet)

12. huffhuff thread starter macrumors member

Well I looked through the first few pages and nothing jumped out. I did try a search also, but must have been using the wrong criteria. Apologies. That obviously keeps happening as when I googled to find this place I typed in 'friendly mac advice' and 'knowledgeable mac community' when maybe I should have used 'saracstic and righteous mac owners'. As an obvious newbie to the site, maybe a little more tolerance is needed. If I have repeated a question that has been asked so many times before - simply ignore the post.

I appreciate that nobody knows the answer. But (and I thought it was obvious), I was asking based on previous 'trend' and 'history'. Maybe I wrongly assumed this would be the place to ask.

Thank you to those that did reply with something meaningful and of worth. I will just sit back and wait a while longer.

Ben

13. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

We won't have an idea until and if they're released.

Habitus :apple:

14. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I was one of the first to order the new 17" unibody and I didn't get mine until late march, I think.

Since there not doing any major design changes I would "guess" that "if" a new macbook pro comes out with the i5 that you can "maybe" get it "sooner"