Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wattage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Just got a 15"MBP, 2.16 GHZ....Hell Yeah!!

We got this primarily b/c our 667 TiBook was not sufficient for video editing. I started burning a ~20 min. movie and slideshow with iDVD and it is really taking a while.

Is it normal for iDVD to take HOURS render the menus alone?? Am I doing something wrong??

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
That doesn't sound normal, especially with your new system. That MBP should fly through a 20min movie in iDVD. Only thing I can think of is that possibly you're running iDVD in Rosetta? I can't see how that would happen, but check to see if iDVD is a universal binary. Also try repairing permissions. If nothing helps, perhaps it's just something funky that a logout or restart will fix.

wattage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
it should be universal...I bought it yesterday.

It says

Process Menu: "Rendering menu video asset.......1 of 3" and crawling. It seems it will need to Process the slideshow, and movie next, then burn??

Am I screwing up?? Is it encoding??

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
One thing that affects the speed is whether or not you have background encoding on or off and how much of that completed. It only deals with the regular video files, however, and that doesn't sound like your main issue.

Menus should take no longer than 10 or 15 minutes even for the most intricate menu systems. A basic menu should be done in minutes.

However, if your menu contains video clips from source files that are encoded in something other than the regular DV format, like H.264, that will make the process take much longer. Also, what are the durations of the menus in this DVD you're trying to burn?

wattage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
I just cancelled the process, it has been processing for like 3 hours. Background encoding is on, and it says done in the project info. The total video is only 30 min. My camera is capable of HDV but I shot in DV.

I don't get it???

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Yeah there seems to be a problem, but its hard to tell with this isolated incident. Have you tried burning another DVD yet to see if the same thing happens? Or have you already successfully burned another one?

Is the main feature in your DVD finished encoding in the background before you push "Burn"?

wattage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Not sure. my first DVD. like i said though, under project info it says the encoding is 'done'

Nate4747

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
Missouri
Did you add a song to the menu?

One time I added a song that was about 5 minutes long to the menu without cutting it down to the 30 seconds of menu animation. The result was that it rendered 5 minutes of a constant loop of the menu with my song that took FOREVER. I cut the song down to 30 seconds or so and it was done very quickly.

wattage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
That could be it, I added 'American Idiot' to the main menu....how do I cut it down?

wattage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
If I cut down the 'loop duration' does that only apply to the main menu music??

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
wattage said:
If I cut down the 'loop duration' does that only apply to the main menu music??

Yea. The loop duration is very simply how long your main menu animates before it loops back to the beginning.

wattage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Yeah, I am retarded. For some reason the main menu contained my 12 min. movie! Thus the long rendering time for menu. I am a newbie.

Thank you all for your help.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Nate4747 said:
Did you add a song to the menu?

One time I added a song that was about 5 minutes long to the menu without cutting it down to the 30 seconds of menu animation. The result was that it rendered 5 minutes of a constant loop of the menu with my song that took FOREVER. I cut the song down to 30 seconds or so and it was done very quickly.

Aha.. funnily enough I did exactly the same thing, ended up doing all my DVD burns overnight! Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.