New MBP - how to migrate and should I reload the OS?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joefinan, Feb 27, 2008.

1. joefinan macrumors 6502a

When my new MBP arrives should I get on and start loading it with my files and stuff or do a clean re-install of the OS?

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have any idea how I can migrate paid-for programs (like Quick Time Pro and Sound Studio)

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I always do a reinstall to remove driver drivers, language packages, extra stuff like that. It really doesn't take too long and can save a whole load of space.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Just to back up xUKHCx, I too would say to do a reinstall. Apple give you a FULL OS X install most of which you won't need, you can save literally gigs of space by cutting out all the printer drivers and language translations you don't need.

4. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing the best way is to:

- Reinstall the OS
    - Download any Apple updates
    - Do first Time Machine
    - Install any programs
    - Start loading user files

Does anyone have any idea how I can migrate paid-for programs (like Quick Time Pro and Sound Studio)

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Your process sounds fine, although I wouldn't bother plugging in your time machine drive and having it run until you're all fully set (updates installed, data copied over).

For QuickTime all you need is your serial number (from QT System Prefs), no idea about Sound Studio though.

6. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Can I just ask... if you need any of these features at a later date, can you pick and choose items to add later?

7. weaterneyes macrumors newbie

Will be receiving a refurb soon (first intel machine) and just wondering if this is achievable without having leopard discs( ie can I do a clean install with what I will receive in the box)
    regards

8. i3iz macrumors member

they come with it.

there is a program called pacifist that will allow you to mess with packages too

9. skiffx macrumors 6502a

Doesnt anybody use the search function anymore? There was EXACTLY the same thread about EXACTLY the same issue just a few hours ago. :confused:

10. joefinan thread starter macrumors 6502a