Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Focx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Hi there,

I received my new i5 MBP today. After booting it once with the installed HDD to check if it's ok, I exchanged the hard disk for the one in my Late 2008 Macbook Pro. After doing this, my Late 2008 Macbook Pro boots fine with the (new) hard disk from the new i5 MBP, but the i5 MBP does not boot with my old hard disk.

To give you some details:
- I have installed 10.6.3 on the (old) hard disk that's not booting.
- The i5 MBP boots fine from the installation DVD
- Disk utility finds and can read my hard disk, no errors
- PRAM NVRAM reset did not help
- when booting in safe mode, I can see the system stop booting after or while loading Extensions.mkext

My guess is, it tries to boot and load the wrong Extensions for the new system (CPU? GPU?). I have no idea how to fix this.

Solution: Re-install Mac OS X from the installation DVD that came with the i5 on top of the existing (old) system. This takes around 45min. and leaves your data intact, but adds the Core i5/i7 support.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I don't think that you can use older hardware with newer Apple products.
He talking about a hard drive. That should be usable with the newer Mac. It's a software problem most likely.

To the OP, you might need to do a OS reinstall to get the older drive bootable on the newer machine. Personally, I would have just kept the new drive intact, and used the Migration Assistant to move stuff (user data, apps, settings, etc) over from the old machine.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
That’s because the MBP i5 came with a newer build of Mac OS X 10.6.3 that supports its hardware.

Either use the original hard drive or take the restore DVD that came with your new MBP i5 and reinstall Mac OS X on the old one.

Focx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2010
Hi there,

thanks for your answers!

I re-installed Mac OS X from the installation DVD that came with my i5 MBP onto the hard disk containing my old system. The Macbook Pro works fine now, and I still have all my data without having to copy or update.

The reason I swapped the drives was this: I ordered the new i5 with the standard 320GB HDD, but had a 7200rpm 500GB disk running in my old one.

Thanks for the help! :)

hawkele

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2010
Hi there,

thanks for your answers!

I re-installed Mac OS X from the installation DVD that came with my i5 MBP onto the hard disk containing my old system. The Macbook Pro works fine now, and I still have all my data without having to copy or update.

The reason I swapped the drives was this: I ordered the new i5 with the standard 320GB HDD, but had a 7200rpm 500GB disk running in my old one.

Thanks for the help! :)

What model are you using?
I also want to change the original harddisk.Please tell me.
Thanks.

byurick

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
When you say the solution is to reinstall OSX, are you referring to the "Archive and Install" option?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.