New MBP: If not a Mighty Mouse, then what are my options?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Verdanice, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Verdanice macrumors regular

Hi,

I'll be picking up a Macbook Pro 15"/2.4GHz/4GB in a couple weeks, and I know I won't be able to live without a mouse. That said, I hate the Mighty Mouse with a flaming passion, as it plain and simply takes design far, far, far over ergonomics. I'd love to argue with anyone who thinks otherwise with reason, but that's not the point here; I need a mouse for said new MBP.

I don't want to go the R/F route (wireless), as I don't want to uglify the unit (as well as inconvenience myself) with a USB dongle. I'm set on Bluetooth as, of course, it's built in. From what I've seen Bluetooth mice are very, very limited right now. I've looked at what's available on tigerdirect.ca in the Bluetooth Mouse section, but there are only eight models - three of which are even slightly feasible for me. Those flat mice won't cut it, I'm something of a power user and need the comfort/functionality of a normal, and I should add full-sized mouse.

That strikes out every mouse on the page.

I checked Microsoft's products next. Two items. Only the first is full-sized, and it has a charging base. If worst comes to worst, I'll get this one assuming that the charging base is USB powered (if you know, enlighten me!).

I'm looking for a full-sized bluetooth mouse and can't seem to find one that really fits my needs.

Does anybody have any suggestions or recommendations? I'd appreciate your input. Thanks in advance. :)

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. Verdanice thread starter macrumors regular

Damnit. Thanks for the response. Well, MS does make some very durable (and royalty in comparison to the uselessness that is the Mighty Mouse) mice (I've had an old wireless on my developer PC for well over three years, hasn't skipped a beat through being thrown numerous times), but I suppose they don't think things like this over well enough. =/

Now I need another option. If not Logitech or Microsoft.. who the hell else makes mice? I've never trusted another company. XD

4. dpcontardi macrumors newbie

I've been using a Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse (in silver) for over a year with my MBP and have found it to be a nice mouse, battery life is pretty good.

Had to replace the original one though, as the bluetooth kept dropping out every couple of minutes - this was a common problem it seems due to a bad batch of mice - happy to say the replacement hasn't let me down once since then.

5. Verdanice thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response. I did look at that mouse, but it's a notebook mouse - I'll be using this MBP on the go for long periods of time, and for doing somewhat intensive work (I'm a web developer). I don't want to put my wrist through using a half-palm sized mouse when I'm used to my MX1000 at home.

I may have to get a wired mouse. I wonder if there's such a thing as a laser mouse besides the Mighty that have short cords?

6. Habakuk macrumors 6502a

I have it. It's a mouse that wolfes down batteries :-( Now I am using the BT MM and I am very happy with it. Twice the battery live compared to MS wireless.

7. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I have a Logitech Bluetooth mouse and it works great with my MBP, and no dongle.

8. Verdanice thread starter macrumors regular

this one looks acceptable, I think.

9. ascender macrumors 68000

I'm still using an old MS USB Intellimouse Explorer. I tried a couple of newer MS wireless mice, but hated the dongle factor. There does seem to be very limited mice which are bluetooth and don't rely on a dongle.

Loved the Mighty Mouse, but the scroll wheel kept getting bunged up and stopped working. Useless.

10. JDN macrumors 6502a

11. pengu macrumors 6502a

12. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

I'd tell you to reconsider. I bought the BT600 and used it for 3 days, then sent it back. The connection was terrible and the mouse itself feels extremely cheap. It has some ugly textured crap on the top of it, the left/right click buttons are loud, cheap, plastic flaps that fold. The two side buttons feel like a lego toy, and they're realllllly loud. Over all that BT600 gets a 4/10 form me. The ONLY thing that was good about it was the USB charging cable. Although, because the connection was so bad, I had it plugged into the USB most of the time so that my Bluetooth connection would work.

13. pengu macrumors 6502a

wow, really? how long ago was this?

i appreciate the info.. it's just im just finding a number of reviews online all saying that they love the mouse..

14. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

Yeah, I did too. I looked for a Bluetooth mouse for a week before I bought one. The BT600 had the best reviews and most consistant. Anyways, this was about a week ago that I returned it. Mailed it off on Tuesday of last week actually. Despite the mixed views of the Mighty Mouse, I decided to get it anyways for my MBP because the BT600 got me so frustrated with it's bad connection and cheap feel. Everything I've ever bought from Apple has been top-of-the-line so I finally gave in.

I've never tried the Microsoft Bluetooth mice, but I've heard some good things about them. Personally, if you don't need the 4+ buttons, I'd say the Logitech v270 is the best bet, but for me, I needed the 4 buttons on the Mighty Mouse. Anyways, hope this helps. I wish Logitech would actually use Bluetooth :eek:

Long live the MX900 BT! It served my PowerBook well.

15. jczubach macrumors 6502

jczubach

i like these, very unique, low energy usage.

Attached Files:

16. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Am I missing something? What would be a better design?
    The charger plugs into the wall so that your mouse can charge while the computer is turned off.
    The dongle is for computers that do not have built-in bluetooth.

17. pengu macrumors 6502a

i do want the buttons. most of the time, i'll be at a desk with the MBP, so i want a desktop-size/feature mouse.. the mighty mouse has left/right and the scroll nipple thing, and the side "squeeze" bits, but i was under the impression the sides have to both be pressed to do anything? ie: only 3 actual "buttons" (left, right, and both sides together)???

im not interested in a MS mouse, and im starting to get the ***** with Logitech as well.. the BT version of the MX1000 (comes with the MX5000 desktop) doesn't work AT ALL with a mac, and on a PC laptop, you can only use the extra buttons if you use their USB dongle, which defeats the purpose of it being BT!

ugh. oh for a decent mouse!

i think im gonna have to bite the bullet and buy Radtech (its only $80) and hope (no offence) that yours was a dud...

18. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Not sure I follow - there are 4 buttons: left, right, squeezing the sides, and pushing the trackball.

19. pengu macrumors 6502a

hmm. i didnt realise the little ball was a button as well.... i'll have to try one in a store i guess..

thanks for the info.

after further digging, it seems someone else had one(bt600) that wasn't all that flash, and they sent him a replacement without any hassles, http://cyberdust.wordpress.com/2006/09/19/update-radtech-bt600-glitches/