New MBP in clam shell, without power cable wont stay awake ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nickb, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Nickb macrumors regular

when connected to a screen...

i have the new MBP with the LED cinema display - and i just noticed something funny ... when i have the MBP in clam shell mode, power cable in, its ok, but when i remove the power cable, it goes to sleep - and i try wake it, but it soon goes back to sleep - anyone had this before, very odd??

2. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Maybe it's faulty? Take it to an apple retailer store and have them look at it or even get a replacement.

3. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

this happened in the previous revisions , too. Its a design thing, not a flaw.

5. timothyandrew macrumors newbie

timothyandrew

6. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I have a core duo MacBook Pro and it does the same thing, and the PowerBook I had before it; same thing. It's most definitely by design.

7. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

It was designed that way to save battery. If you're mobile running on battery power, most people won't need an external display. It makes sense for most users.

8. Nickb thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for your comments people - glad to know its not a fault and just how it is

one interesting comments i found is about the new MBP's heat when in clamshell mode, as mine gets pretty warm sometimes, and as i read in another post alot of the heat is channeled through they keyboard - so i was thinking how does this effect the screen? although i guess apple will have thought of this.

any thoughts?