New MBP - install SSD, lion, and migrate questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjfcpa, Mar 4, 2012.

1. jjfcpa macrumors member

I am waiting for a new MBP 15" to arrive. I've already got a Crucial M4 SSD and 16 gig of memory to install. I'm wondering what is the best / easiest way to accomplish the following:

I have an early 2011 MBP 15" running Lion with the latest updates installed that I want to migrate all data from.

My plan is to swap the hard drive in the new MBP before initial boot up and install the SSD and memory. Then use the install CD to install lion. When prompted to use migration assistant, use a firewire cable to migrate data and apps from the old MBP.

Is this the best way to proceed?

2. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

I assume you are going to use both 15" models? It seems costly to switch in the same platform. Your current model would excel from those updates as well.

I recently got a refurb 15" early 2011. I installed the 8gb of ram and a 256GB M4 SSD.

Initial boot up to make sure everything worked. If I did not have the Sata III/USB data cable I would install the
    Drive and Ram. boot up from a Lion USB stick, format the new drive in disk utility, install Lion on the new drive, Migrate over from a TM backup or CCC over. Done.

I formatted my new drive externally and ccc to the new drive, because I had a sata/usb cable. Just put it in and after picking it as the start up disk everything worked great, except, I could not use FV2. I then installed Lion from the USB stick and all was good. My lesson for me is I would always do a fresh install of Lion.

3. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Odd that you just got a new computer when you just got one a year ago - but w/e. Your plan seems sound to me, I would however boot up the new machine as it sits out of the box just to make sure it does. Then when you confirm it is fine, which it likely will be, then swap the SSD and memory in.

4. jjfcpa thread starter macrumors member

The old MBP is getting handed down to an employee. I needed to buy one anyway, so I figured I might as well get a new one, put in the SSD and upgrade the ram.

5. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Enjoy your new machine.

I have migrated my last 3 laptops from the prior. One thing I have not dug into is I always have to pick a different user name from the one coming in from the old machine to the one I just gave my new machine, because their the same. It won't let me use the same name, nor write over. For me I just would add my initial for a new user and migrate in everything as new user. Then I would delete the original user I started the new machine with, and then change back my migrated name to the original name I like to use.

If that makes any sense.