New MBP - Is my battery ok?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tbone-junction, Dec 20, 2010.

1. tbone-junction macrumors newbie

I have a 3 week old 15" MBP 2.66 Core i7 4GB and after a full charge i've never shown more than 5 hours remaining on my battery status; shouldn't it be showing 8 - 9 hours remaining?

I've followed the calibration steps outlined on the Apple site (full charge, leave plugged in for 2 hours then run down to empty, wait 5 hours and turn on to fully charge again) but i'm getting disapointing 'remaining battery' time readings. Here are my coconut stats:

[​IMG]

I have the screen at half brightness and have safari, mail and PS CS3 open, so internet browsing and some light editing in PS. I also see wild jumps from 5 hours, down to 3 hours, back up to 4 hours on the battery status, all within the space of 10 minutes.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
    The time remaining is an ever-changing estimate, based on the current power demands of your MBP, which change as the workload on your Mac changes.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I've never gotten more than 5 hours of battery life and my battery health has never been higher than 97%.

4. tbone-junction, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2010

tbone-junction thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, I guess I was naive about real-world use being so different to advertised specs.

that would annoy me