New MBP issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dbwrobel, Jun 5, 2011.

1. dbwrobel Guest

So I just dropped a considerable amount of dough on a new 15" macbook pro (2.3ghz core i7, 128gb ssd, hi-res antiglare)....being a long time imac buyer this is my first macbook pro since I used to buy the whitebooks. After consulting with one of the sales staff at the apple store I decided to order online and get all the extras mentioned above (I'm doing my graduate degree and do tons of intensive calculations and wanted something I could use on the go). I was told that this should work great for me and this way I could avoid going with my initial plan of buying a really powerful pc server for running my jobs and picking up a macbook air for on the go.

I've been using the machine for about a month now and it has been amazingly FAST.....but.....I've been noticing a lot of people on here posting about the temps running high. I never really thought about it but then installed istat and noticed that normally doing light stuff (typing/web surfing) my cpu is at about 61*C, jumping up to about 90 or so when doing intensive stuff. Haven't been having any lock ups though (played portal for several hours with no issues).

Anyway, I'm kinda nervous now to even try pushing it and especially about having a logic board failure after dropping a serious amount of money (at least for me being a student)...is this a common problem with the macbook pros in general or do they tend to be very reliable? I mean I'm sure that not everyone is having issues or there would have been a recall, but how long can I realistically expect this machine to last....I was hoping at least 4-5 years if I take care of it.

I never remember having any issues with my macbooks conking out early but then again those were C2duo machines (still have one from 2006 going strong :), and that machine has been tossed around and treated like garbage lol )

2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Not really a new issue as it's commonly asked. Your temperatures are just fine and most of the posts that you read people say the same thing. When people install istat or smc they just become more aware of the temperatures and yours are fine.

As for reliability. Your laptop is like any other laptop out there. With that being said, they are members out there that have had their laptop for years and years. Just take care of it and it should last you.

3. KwanMan macrumors regular

People here are just over obsessed about their temps, dont worry you'll be fine

4. dbwrobel thread starter Guest

Ok cool thanks I'm a bit relieved :) ...so when you say take care of it, what kind of steps should I be taking? Most of the current taking care of it I guess is more cosmetic in keeping it in a sleeve and stuff like that.

5. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Yeah, just don't damage it. As far as maintenance, the only thing I can think of it calibrating your battery once a month.

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

your temperatures are fine, i would not stress over them. your mbp has fans in it of course and as long as you give it proper ventilation you'll be set.

7. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

macbook pros are made to cook eggs if you turn it upside down....if you cant do that with yours then there is a problem and should take yours back.

8. dbwrobel thread starter Guest

wow didn't know they were made to run that hot and last...thanks for all the info

9. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Another instance in which reading MacRumors forums spreads unwarranted worry. It's cyclical really.

10. dblissmn macrumors regular

I'd say that basic temperature is much too high (I'm finding temperatures in the 40s to be typical on AC or even in the 30s on battery), but the chances are that it's a software problem and not hardware. Use iStat Pro or even just the included Activity Monitor to see if there are processes running on background chewing up processor capacity. Even something running at just 20 to 30 percent of a CPU core will comfortably push the temperature into the 60s.

That peak temperature for intensive use is to be expected. I've not quite hit 90 but I often will hit 85 with something like Stata or Aperture.