New MBP issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hussainh1, Jan 19, 2017.

  1. hussainh1 macrumors regular

    Sep 22, 2014
    Ordered my late 2016 tbMBP on the day of the keynote, loaded with every feature (2TB SSD, 460 Graphics, 2.9 GHz processor, etc) and finally received it 11/20/16. I recently also finally received my UltraFine 5k monitors as well.

    Since then my computer's been intermittently freezing, or so I thought. After calling Apple Support and speaking to a few different Tier 2 specialists who could not determine the cause of the freezing and instead suggested I create a new user account, re-install the operating system, and the usual safe mode, SMC reset, PRAM resets, etc, nothing worked. Finally, one day I had my Bluetooth preferences pane open when the freeze occurred, I noticed that my devices all cycled repeatedly from Connected to Not Connected rapidly. I explained this to the Tier 2 support reps, we tried to reset my Bluetooth, remove all devices, etc.

    When this didn't work, I scheduled a Genius Bar visit and the rep confirmed my suspicion that it was hardware related. He offered to take my computer for a full refund on the spot or when my replacement computer arrives. I opted for the latter, so now I'm waiting for my replacement computer so I can return the original unit. It was at this point that I began second guessing this new computer. With all of the issues that everyone has been going on about in addition to my own frustrations with this new unit, I began to ponder if waiting until the bugs have been worked out was a better option. After all, I still have my 2015 MBP with pre-Thunderbolt display setup that I moved to my home office instead. Further, I read the potential 32GB Kaby Lake rumor that is precisely that until it comes out and I'm not the type to wait based on things that are potentially around the corner unless it's a dependent feature.

    Just wanted to get some feedback from the existing user base and see if anyone has had these Bluetooth or other hardware related issues. I'm not interested in navigating away from macOS, so my options are to accept replacement, wait for newer MBP feature set, or purchase newer Mac Pro or iMac upon their unveiling later this year. I use my computer in clamshell mode connected to my external displays 95% of the time, and I only have a notebook for the purpose of having an option to take it with me if necessary.
  2. jerryk macrumors 68040

    Nov 3, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    On the Bluetooth issues, are you using earpods? Someone just posted that after using the earpods other BT connection did not work.
  3. hussainh1 thread starter macrumors regular

    Sep 22, 2014
    I am using AirPods, but it was not working correctly prior to this. I only received my AirPods around Christmas.
  4. tivoboy macrumors 68030

    May 15, 2005
    There is a new update, should possibly fix your freezing problems

Share This Page