New MBP keyboard light leak....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stieny, Dec 20, 2008.

1. stieny macrumors member

I just had a quick question.

I just got a new 2.4 ghz MBP and I noticed that there is a very small light leak from the backlit keyboard on the right side through the speaker grill. I mean it's very small, maybe like 3 or 4 little holes is all the bigger it is and you really only see it with all the lights off.

Well normally I'm not a picky person at all. My iPhone that I'm typing this on isn't perfect. I really don't even care that much but I did pay a lot for it. I really doubt i would take it back for something like that but I was just wondering how common it is. I searched a lot but only found one other thread of another similar issue.

Thanks

2. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I once had a MBP with a beam of light shining up between keys. An authorized Apple repair shop installed a new keyboard.

3. stieny thread starter macrumors member

Hmm...

I guess it's not that common. Either that or I'm the only one noticing it.

4. six.four macrumors 6502

Please provide a picture so we can scoff at the sheer ridiculousness of the topic of this thread ;)

Ok, sarcasm aside - post a pic. My MBP doesn't have that issue.

If it bothers you, just take it in. Problem solved.

5. kolax macrumors G3

Surprised you can see it through the speaker grills.

Are you on a new Unibody MBP or a "new" previous gen (refurbished) MBP?

6. stieny thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't bother me, just wondering how common it is. Seems like it is really only noticed if you're looking for it when the brightness is turned up on the keyboard and the room is dark. Like I said, its real small and you can see some light from the key board through some of the holes on the speaker grills.

I have a brand new unibody MBP.

7. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I think I would take it in to fix as it could be an annoyance.

8. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

How? There's light shooting up around every key on that thing. Thats just silly.

9. stieny thread starter macrumors member

Thats what I was thinking. (assuming you're saying that it is silly to say its an annoyance)

The computer is perfect. Case is flawless, screen is beautiful (no dead/stuck pixels). It just seems pointless and a waste of both apples and my time to take it in or have it replaced over something that actually might not even be a defect.

Funny thing is, I just noticed that when you're sitting right in front of the computer you can't even see it. You can only see a bit of light when you're up over the grill and look down into it.

I just wanted to see if it was occurring on other MBP's. Obviously its not or either people really haven't noticed it yet.

10. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I would ignore it, if you take it in, think of this. You could end up with one without that perfect screen, or another flaw.

You could regret it. A light which you have to go looking for is the least of your concerns.

11. smokedog macrumors regular

Can you post up a photo? I would like to see.

12. stieny thread starter macrumors member

The only camera I have at the moment is my phone so I will post up pics when I get home.