New MBP - keyboard 'stiff'

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acrafton, Mar 27, 2008.

1. acrafton macrumors 6502

So, I received my MBP 15" this week and all is great except the keyboard is 'stiff'. It requires a lot of force to type. . .anyone else seeing this? Is this a setting somewhere?

Thanks
    Adam

2. PDE macrumors 68020

I have to say that I feel my MBP is just perfect in terms of key travel and resistance. I've used hundreds of keyboards and this is one of the better ones, IMO.

3. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

The MBP is actually quite soft compared to other laptops and not as clicky. If its a real problem then go back to the applestore and try the keyboards there if they are any different.

4. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

You can change the keypads/boards on a notebook? I didn't know :confused:

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

well i meant to try the demo MBP's keyboards. If its a problem to the OP then he can exchange it.

but on another note, yes the MBP's keyboard can be replaced. The macbook's is one piece so it includes the trackpad with it as well.

6. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

I think what the OP means is not that the keyboard is actually 'stiff' but that the keys, you have to press harder in comparison to say the MacBook keyboard to key the key your pressing to work.

I know this as I had the same problem when I switched (my thread). I was new to Mac and was using a Sony prior and the keys on the Sony you only have to barely touch and they would press down so it was a significant change for me (and the fact I have arthritic fingers too).

Although, I have to say to the OP, it's something you will get used to. Keep using it and you'll forget in a few days time.

7. MacDaddy08 macrumors regular

MacDaddy08

Mine is perfect, not to hard, not to soft. Just right. I guess I am used to it though.

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

You sound like goldielocks :)

9. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I find that my newer 2.2ghz MBP are a bit stiffer compared to my old Core Duo machine. I had the two side by side and I tried them out. But I'm not sure if it was because of wear and tear or the newer keyboards are stiffer. But I'm use to this newer MBP now anyway :)

10. chris y. macrumors regular

Comparing the keyboard on my Penryn 2.4 to my sister's PB G4 I can say the keyboard on the MBP definitely has more bounce to it. I feel as though I can type just as fast and long on both keyboards though.

11. acrafton thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple giving me a new MBP

Ok - I took my machine into see the genius about the stiff keyboard (you have to press extra hard on some keys some of the time for it to work). I thought he would say I was crazy but no, in 5 seconds he said he saw what I was talking about and then said they would replace the keyboard.

After about 15 mins he comes out with the mgr and they tell me they don't have any keyboards so they are just going to swap out my machine. Fine by me.

I have to say, one of the great benefits of Apple ownership is having a store close that will immediately fix your problem. I can't imagine going into a bestbuy and getting the same, immediate service.

12. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

I have to agree Apple's CS is quite good (not perfect, but good).

For my old 2.33 MBP, I had to replace the LCD, but no LCDs were in stock until April 21st (I put it in for repair on March 13, over a month's wait). I called AppleCare and went to an applestore for help (i posted a thread earlier about this). 6 Days later (march 19th) i get a call informing me that my LCD had arrived. I was blown away. Regardless I sold the computer shortly after.

13. gfm macrumors newbie

I just got a new 2.2ghz MBP on clearance last month and started noticing the same stiffness--if you don't slam the keys it doesn't register a key press. I did some tests and found that pretty much all of the keys on the keyboard have a "dead spot" towards the bottom edges where you can fully depress the key but it won't register a key press.

I thought I was crazy until I went back to my old PB G4.. typing on that, compared to the MBP, is like night and day. On the PB G4 it doesn't matter how softly you hit the keys, it always registers the key press. On the MBP you have to strike the keys dead-center in order to get it to reliably register the key press.

I called Apple tech support and they said they can replace the keyboard w/ a 7 day turnaround, typically 3-4 days. Unfortunately I don't have an Apple store nearby where I live. :-(