New MBP, massive props and how to transfer data?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jvencius, Aug 24, 2007.

1. jvencius macrumors regular

Introduction: I just picked up my warranty replacement 2.2 MBP and I couldn't be happier with the new machine. I thought my "old" (12 days) computer was amazing, but it's possible this one is even better. The new one has the LG panel (old one had a perfectly fine Samsung) and on unboxing, I can't find a single flaw. Even doing the warranty swap was so smooth as to be a pleasure. I can't give a higher recommendation than I could to the staff at the Apple retail store in Boulder, CO since (1) they were patient with me when I bought the MBP and had 10K questions coming from Windows to OSX and (2) when they got a 2.2 MBP in a shipment late yesterday afternoon, they called me right away and held it until I could get down there today. They could probably have sold it in a heartbeat since they've been having trouble keeping the MBP in stock, but they put it on a shelf in the back with my name on it and I appreciate that, since it is a ~2 hour drive there and I didn't want to go down there w/o knowing for sure I could come home with a new machine.

Now, onto my questions:

I have a bootable, complete clone/copy of my old internal HD on an external HD and I need to know:
    1) How do I transfer my photos over w/o starting iPhoto, if that is possible? I did some dumb stuff with renaming photos in the "Photos" part of my home folder (before I knew not to do that) and I need to import them so that I can rebuild the iPhoto library and start over now that I know doing what I did is a bad idea.

2) How do I import my iCal calendars? I tried using the "Import" function but didn't know where to look for the file to import.

3) How do I copy over my Address Book contacts?

BTW: Thanks to all for your advice/knowledge that you share here. I switched from Windows when I bought this computer and while the switching process hasn't been entirely smooth, it would have been much worse without what I've learned on this site.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, check out the Library folder in your user account on the external drive. In this should be a folder named Application Support. Copy the iCal and Address Book folders to the equivalent spot on your new drive when both apps are closed and that should be enough to transfer all your data. You can pretty much do the same for all components of OSX - Documents, Desktop, Pictures, Music, Movies and so on... Maybe don't do it with the Pictures folder though. It sounds like it might be better if you simply reimport all your pictures directly from that iPhoto folder into your new version of iPhoto directly. Does that help? :)

3. jvencius thread starter macrumors regular

Yes it does--thank you very much. I figured that the data was on the external HD somewhere, but being new to OSX, I couldn't figure out what files to bring over to the new machine.:D

On edit: the Address book/iPhoto advice you gave worked like a champ, but iCal didn't work. Oh well, I didn't have anything too dramatic set up there (mostly events that repeat from week to week until the beginning of december--a school schedule) so I'll just start over and it shouldn't take too long to rebuild.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird. iCal should have worked, unless you were running iCal at the time... :eek:

5. jvencius thread starter macrumors regular

It works now and even though I don't know why that is, I'm willing to accept good things when they happen. :D

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay... Sometimes it takes a little while to update. Hopefully that was why your calendars didn't show at first. :)