New MBP models...when?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parajba, Dec 6, 2009.

1. parajba macrumors 6502

Hi everybody,

I'm a happy owner of a white MB 2.4GHz, 2GB, bought 1.5 years ago, I think it's the 2/2008 update. The machine is wonderful (was my 1st mac ever!), am really loving it.

The only thing I'm not completely satisfied with is the screen, it's low quality (don't want to say more, this topic has been discussed at length...) and small (13'').

I'm thinking of buying a new MB (Pro), ideally 17''. I don't travel, it's going to be my main computer. I'll be using it at home only, so size is not an issue really...

I checked the 'Buyer's Guide' on this website and it says 'Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle'. When is the next showroom/Apple event where they might present the new MBPs?

Thanks in advance,
    Manny

2. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

January/February will see the introduction of the new Arrandale quad-core processors, whether they make their way to the 13" remains to be seen, the 13" should receive an update regardless.

4. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Arrandale are dual core aren't they? Dual threaded though so you get 4 threads from the CPU.

5. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

I hope no change in design since I just got my 13" MBP, im not to worried abought the upgrades just the looks since I do have a hi end 15" MBP

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Only apple knows, why do you ask the general public?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple will undoubtedly unveil a new laptop in the first quarter of the year but its anyone's guess when they'll actually start shipping it. Apple has a long history of releasing a new model but making us wait 4 or even up to 8 weeks to actually get one.

8. DivineEvil macrumors regular

If you are going to get a laptop only to use it at home, why don't you get an iMac? It'll be cheaper and way more powerful than a 17" MBP...

If I were you I'd get a iMac i7 and keep the old MBP for on the road computer.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

True but even home users like to use their computers in the living room or bedroom or what have you. Sometimes taking it to panera bread makes sense so I can see why the OP wishes to use a laptop over the iMac. Overall an iMac does make a lot of sense, you get more computer for less money, provided you don't want to leverage the mobility.

10. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

New MacBook Pros by March 2010. Same design, upgraded specs.

11. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

Is Arrandale cpu(intel) a significant update for mbp, over the existing c2d cpu's already used?

12. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

If you don't need a new computer, don't buy one now. Just wait. New MBPs will be out in the next few months. Also, do a search or scroll down on the first page of the MBP forum. There are at least two of these threads emerging everyday.