new MBP: monitor, stand, cables??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Surfing@Blacks, May 17, 2011.

1. Surfing@Blacks macrumors regular

Hey MR Community. I will be purchasing a MBP next week (high end 15") and I have a feel questions.

Is getting the High-def screen worth it. I will be doing a lot of video editing on this machine. Will I be able to purchase the mac remote at a later time as well...?

I am looking for advice on some additions... Which laptop stand do you guys recommend. Also, as far as monitors go, I was looking at getting the Dell U2311H (E-IPS panel) for $250. Any other monitors I should check out before going with the dell.

Hooking up my mbp up to the monitor, which connection will give me the best picture or does it even matter?

Thanks

2. LazyMacGuy macrumors member

Getting a high def monitor is a must if your going to be looking at it for long periods of time. I can work on mine for long periods without any problems, but with my an old one at work I get headaches after not long.

You can buy mac remotes for about £20 whenever.

I have heard that the U2311H is a great monitor and the settings make it easy to adjust the screen to be perfect for your eyes.

I personally use DVI, but for this you will need to buy an adapter.

Hope this helps,

LMG

3. strwrsfrk macrumors regular

MBP Suggestions

You absolutely can't go wrong with Dell monitors. A few people on here would disagree (and I wouldn't buy a Dell computer ever), but I've owned three monitors from them and loved each one. If you can, though, check out the refurbished models in the outlet. Two of my monitors have been refurbs from Dell and each one has performed wonderfully (and saved me ~$50 each).

I have a 15" MBP and I use this stand: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TN740ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY It perfectly matches the Apple aesthetic and is incredibly sturdy. Plus, I pulled the SuperDrive from my Pro to add extra storage and found that my external DVD/RW drive fits underneath the "shelf" perfectly. All for $50.

I'm torn on the hi-res display option. Mine is hi-res, and I occasionally find myself zooming in to read text or code. My next MBP will probably NOT have the hi-res option (and I can save $100). An external 1080p monitor fixes that problem for me already.

However, for doing the visual work, hi-res is probably the way to go. Then again, if most of your work will be done at your desk with the external monitor, maybe that $100 savings will be better for you than the extra pixels. If you eschew the hi-res option and pull a monitor for under $200 from the Outlet, then you've saved enough for some fun after-market upgrades to your Pro :)

4. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

If it was me, I'd get the lower resolution screen on the MBP and use the external screen for video editing, but I guess that screen you linked is only 1920x1080, so if you get the Hi-res MBP screen, you'd actually get more pixel real estate on there.

If you get that screen, and you hook it up through the Display port, you might get sound to the soundbar as well. You'd have to make sure the screen supports it as it doesn't say outright in the specs, and get a cable that supports audio. Search the forums for more display ideas.

5. Surfing@Blacks thread starter macrumors regular

Great information fellas.

"If it was me, I'd get the lower resolution screen on the MBP and use the external screen for video editing, but I guess that screen you linked is only 1920x1080, so if you get the Hi-res MBP screen, you'd actually get more pixel real estate on there."

Does this mean I will not have the ability to use the monitor at max resolution if I don't get the hi-res option?

6. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Sorry, I didn't write that very well. I just meant, if you get the Hi-res MBP screen, you'll have more pixels on the laptop, than you would on the external monitor.

Just a comparison statement. To answer your question, no, you will be able to use all the pixels either way. Sorry for the confusion.

7. Surfing@Blacks thread starter macrumors regular

No you stated it correctly. I had a huge brain fart.... working to many hours AHHH. Of course a type of screen wouldnt have any affect on a external monitor. Again, thanks for the helpful information. I appreciate it!