New MBP/MPA Heat Compared to Original MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hotcocoa, Jan 30, 2011.

1. hotcocoa macrumors member

I currently have the original MacBook Pro (1,1) (1.83 GHz Core Duo, 2 GB, 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT).

One area that I am not happy with is the heat produced by the machine. After extended periods of light activity (web, programming, etc) or when watching web videos even for a short period the machine gets extremely hot. This is obviously most noticeable when the machine is on my lap.

So my question is do the newer machines such as the i5/i7 MacBook Pros or the newly released MacBook Air have these heat issues? How does the heat output between the MBP/MBA compare?

This site seems to provide some information:
    http://www.intelmactemp.com/

The numbers there show that my current model averages around 50C/75C (idle/load), the early 2010 MBP i7 at 41C/86C, but does not have any data regarding the MBA. These measurements give me some idea, but how do the machines actually feel on your lap?

Thanks for the help.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

All Apple notebooks, including MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air are generally hot when running. The more the workload, the hotter they get. This is perfectly normal. The aluminum acts somewhat like a heat sink, so it will easily transfer heat more than plastic or some other materials.

Install iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your temps, among other things

If you want more information, here are just a few of many threads on this topic, found by searching the forum with MRoogle:

Macbook Pro Heat Dissipation
    2010 Macbook Pro 17" i7 heat question
    Heat on my i7 Macbook Pro 15"
    Macbook overheating?
    My Macbook Pro reached 106 degrees !
    Macbook pro heat problem
    MacBook Pro Over Heat Issue
    Heat on my i7 Macbook Pro 15"
    Macbook pro Hot after 10.6.3. Update
    Macbook Pro too HOT!!!
    My Macbook Pro Runs Hot
    Macbook Pro gets really hot when running windows 7
    How hot should my macbook be getting?
    Macbook Boiling Hot!
    Hot 15" i5 MBP!
    MacBook Pro Overheating or That's What I Think It Is?
    Macbook pro temperature
    MacBook Pro heat causing pain in hands
    Alu Macbook vs. 13" Macbook pro: Heat & Battery Life
    Etc., etc., etc.

3. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I've had 2 MacBook pros and a MacBook air. 2009 & 2010 models. I've never felt them be "hot". I hear the fans come on IF I let my Mbp encode in handbrake for a long time but the cooling system is excellent.

4. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

If you watch videos or do things that use the gpu (videos-gaming-encoding-etc), it's normal that the laptop gets hotter. From my experience with a 15" macbook pro, it shouldn't be that hot with videos when using the integrated gpu. In the other hand, if you're using the discrete graphics card, it can get really hot easily.

5. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

I mean all I do is that if it gets too hot just step back, leave it along and do something else.