New MBP needs a lot of disk utility repairs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Josh.C.123, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Josh.C.123 macrumors member

Since I got my macbook pro - latest release i have had to repair the HDD 3 times. I am a new mac user so am unsure if this is common or too often? I never had to do such a thing with any PC so it worried me after a week of use that i was told "repair disk using mac os x cd". can anyone clarify thanks? Also just as a side note my screen flickers occasionally and stays black for a few seconds is this the power invertor in the screen? cheers all

2. apple.gr macrumors regular

:confused: Do a favour to yourself and go change it. If it is one week old and all these problems just change it.

3. Josh.C.123 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I got it end of April : 1 month n a half. Is 3x a lot in that time?

4. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I think I've only had to repair the disk twice in the two years I've had my MBP, and at least once was because I moved it too much while the computer was running.

Be careful with the computer while it is running. The Sudden Motion Sensor will theoretically protect the disk, but it isn't perfect. If you hear the disk make noise frequently when you are moving the computer, you might be moving it too much. The SMS also doesn't work in all directions-- it can't detect twisting, which is particularly bad for the disk.

If you aren't moving the computer around too much, frequent errors could indicate a bad disk.

5. Josh.C.123 thread starter macrumors member

Greatly appreciated. if it occurs again i'll probably book in a repair . thanks

6. adfeldr1 macrumors newbie

Im getting error messages from disk utility

I recently upgraded my hard drive on my mac book pro 13" mid 2010 from a 250gb to a 750gb when I used disk utility to verify the hard drive It said "invalid volume count", "The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired". I ran the repair 3 times and each time I get the same message after verifying the disk. What should I do?:(

7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Return the drive and get a new one..