New MBP- Networking issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Empyre, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Empyre macrumors member

Hello all,

Received my new MBP this past Friday, and like usual I connected it via ethernet to the internet. I am currently at a University so the network is integrated into each room. Everything went fine the first day, internet worked. Saturday night I downloaded the WoW Trial for Mac to play a little bit of games which was about a 5GB Download or so, and Blizzard uses a P2P client (this will come into play later). So all day Sunday my internet doesn't work via Ethernet, but the wireless works just fine, same goes for today (ethernet a no go).

When I check my network settings, my computer is coming up with some strange IP addresses that do not match the prefix for the university. And the Subnet mask is incorrect as well. So, back to the P2P Blizzard Downloading Client: It could be possible that the University blocked my internet connection temporarily due to high bandwidth usage from the P2P client, which would be bogus because usually they do it assuming the user is downloading unlicensed material.

My main question is: is there any way I can check that its not my computer that is the problem here? Since the IP addresses are a little strange I'm starting to get concerned that it might be my Ethernet jack on my MBP or something internal.

Sorry if this was long and drawn out, but hopefully there is a way I can test whether its my computer thats the problem, or if I've simply been temporarily blocked.

Thanks

2. singaporesling macrumors newbie

I'm at a University too and it seems more probable that they just cut off access. Do they register your university account with a mac address?

3. Empyre thread starter macrumors member

No, i dont have to register my device. My cousin whom attends Northern Arizona said they have to do that which I found interesting. But the thing is that I'm running my connection through a 4 port Hub and my PC still has internet access, but not my Mac. I just dont understand how my computer isn't obtaining an IP address and subnet mask etc. Its just throwing up some random number values sort of.

4. singaporesling macrumors newbie

Hmm that sounds weird. Lucky you, I can only have 1 machine at a time plugged into my dorm internet because its registered to my name and they look at the mac address. When my new MBP arrives this week i'll have 3 different machines too :(