New MBP, new HDD: quick install question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stratrman, Sep 10, 2010.

1. stratrman macrumors newbie

Hi - making the switch to my first mac. Getting a new MBP 13 today, already have a new Momentus XT500 HDD (+8g ram).

I would like to keep the factory drive "as new" for resale or re-install for a repair ride if necessary, and I have no software or files to clone.

My questions:
    1) Can I simply remove the factory drive, install the new drive, then boot from the system disks and install OSX?
    2) OK to do this prior to first boot? or should I boot it once with the factory drive then make the switch?

Thanks in advance - all of your excellent posts in this forum helped me make the switch decision. I also have Parallels and Win7 (MS onenote user) so this should be fun! (if I can get it started right!).

2. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

It shouldnt need starting up a first time, other than the fact that the drive that will be installed when you get it will already have OSX preloaded. Its probably easier to wipe it now rather than later.
    So first time, boot from the OSX installation disc (hold "option" on startup and select the CD), then select disc utility in the utilities menu at the top and erase the disc from there.

Then shut down, remove that drive, and then pop in the new one, run the OSX installation, and enjoy :)

Before installing OSX on the new Momentus XT you will have to format it as well. Select "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)" under partition in disk utilities before installing OSX.

3. stratrman thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent - thanks. Since I want to preserve OSX on the factory drive, I'll simply remove it prior to first boot (hoping the machine is not defective), and then follow your instructions.

Thanks a bunch!