New MBP... No Firewire 400?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jeff E, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Jeff E macrumors member

The MBP have no Firewire 400 port. So all Audio Interfaces will no longer be usable unless they have USB 2? What about Video?

Does the FW800 port adapt down?

Thanks

J

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

3. Jeff E thread starter macrumors member

4. diego84 macrumors newbie

Same here

Man, I'm disappointed.
    I use a FW400 audio interface and also an external FW800 drive in my setup since I move between studios, my laptop and other computers. They dropped the ball having a single FW port in the new MBP. If it's a Pro computer I would expect more, not less. One of the solutions is to get an express 34 card with FW adapters but why use adapters? I don't get it, they should've included more FW ports.

Well, now that's off my chest, a few questions. Any other solutions? what about ethernet to FW adapters? how much will a hub affect the performance of a single FW800 port?

5. Jeff E thread starter macrumors member

Wont really matter for adapters... Can you imagine the Driver issues now. This will make it tough on Digi and MOTU even more so to get a glitch free system.

J

6. diego84 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking with the express card, drivers wouldn't be an issue yet but I know what you mean. It will be interesting to see how audio companies work with this problem, especially Apogee since they seem to be the most Apple oriented.
    Now I don't know if I should get the 17" MBP with two FW ports and three USB 2.0 or the new 15" model.

7. snake101st macrumors regular

Doesnt the old MBP only have 1 FW controller so if you have something in 400 and another in 800 it clocks them both to 400? And if you daisy chain something thats 800 (a hd) with something thats 400 (audio interface) it will also make the chain 400 if Im not mistaken.

Im just going to get an esata express card and get a 9-6 pin fw cable for my audio interface, if thats the case.

8. North Bronson macrumors 6502

Can't you daisy-chain the drive to the interface? Does your drive have FW400?

Nevermind, I just saw the last post.

9. diego84 macrumors newbie

I was not aware about the firewire clock being only one. So the new MBP would clock something up to 800 if there is also a FW400 interface on the daisy chain?
    I can do the daisy chain connecting my HD to the laptop and the interface to the HD so if the clock goes up to 800mbps that would be an improvement on the new MBP.