New MBP now or wait for new case design?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by somebody else, Jun 16, 2011.

  1. somebody else macrumors member

    somebody else

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2011
    Location:
    NJ
    #1
    So I was holding out for the Back to School promo, now that that's only a $100 iTunes giftcard rather than $199 off an iPod touch or iPad I don't know if I should just get my new 15" MBP or wait until the new case design comes. Even though the buyers guide says mid product cycle with about another 100 days to go, the new MBPs might not come til the beginning of 2012 since the last two refreshes took longer than the historic average.

    I've waited over a year since my Powerbook G4 failed because I wanted Thunderbolt, but is it worth waiting for the next refresh of MBP since it'll be a new case design and Ivy Bridge? I wish they had the keyboard like I have on my Powerbook, thats not guaranteed to change but there's a chance.

    I would also hope the SSD options either come down in price, or they offer a combo a la the iMac setup with a smaller SSD to hold the OS etc on and then a larger HDD with at least standard 7200 rpm why not a 10k rpm.
     
  2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

    cloroxbleach4

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2007
    Location:
    Oklahoma
    #2
    If you need a laptop get the MBP. If you don't need it then keep waiting.

    If I were you I'd just buy the darn thing.
     
  3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #3
    Play the wait game its fun... you'll be waiting forever for something newer, better, faster.

    Why not buy and enjoy life and the product?
     
  4. Surfing@Blacks macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2007
    #4
    I would wait for 2025 MBP. Heard its going to be sick.
     
  5. duaneu macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    Location:
    Bellevue, WA
    #5
    There's no guarantee the case will change next year. If you need it now, buy it now.
     
  6. Kyllle macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2011
    #6
    Not sure what you're currently using instead of your Powerbook, but it sounds like you need a computer now, so just buy the 2011 MBP.

    However, if you are happy with whatever you have now, and you don't mind waiting up to a year for the refresh (summer 2012?), then it could be worth it in the long run. It also depends how long you usually keep your computers, if you only keep them 2-3 years, then I would just buy now. But if you keep them for 5+ years, then it may be better to wait for the refresh so that you Mac will look current for as long as possible.
     
  7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    #7
    +1

    Exactly correct.
     
  8. waynep macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2009
    #8
    I agree with the above people. Wait forever or jump. I bought the 2010 MBP in January. I knew new MBP's were coming but I needed a new laptop for personal use. I am happy with my purchase and am not at all disappointed that I don't have the newer model.
     
  9. Bear macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #9
    There is no guarantee that there will be a new case design next year.

    The question is do you need or want a new system now?

    There is no guarantee when the next refresh of the model will be either, although that is somewhat predictable based on Intel announcements.

    And I see nothing wrong with getting an iTunes gift card for free.

    And of course if you put off buying it because of the suspected upcoming changes.. what if when you go to buy it, you here rumors of what the next model might have. Do you put off purchasing it once again?

    Either buy it or don't. If the refresh seemed imminent, I would give different advice.
     
  10. Virgo, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011

    Virgo macrumors 6502

    Virgo

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #10
    There are always people who accuse of "playing the waiting game forever," but I think it's smart to research beforehand. Buying a 2010 MBP a month before the 2011 ones came out just seems crazy to me. All you have to do is go on google and it's obvious through all the tech rumors when the new products are going to be released.

    When wanting to purchase a new laptop, phone, music player, etc, I generally buy at the beginning of the refresh cycle if it is easy and feasible to do so, that way you get maximum value out of it before it's time to get a new one...

    It gets iffy around the middle of the product cycle, but I would say that since Apple has been pretty consistent with yearly updates, go for it and buy it now.

    It's only been 4 months since the release. If it's still in the half-year since the new one was launched, why not just buy it? Do you really wanna go all summer, fall, and most of winter before having a great computer?
     
  11. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

    ratzzo

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2011
    Location:
    Madrid
    #11
    In all fairness, if you waited on every product when it's just been released you would never buy anything. I would just get the current MBPs, which excel at everything I throw at them. Plus, we don't even know if there will be a redesigned model with the next refresh.
     
  12. AML225 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2010
    #12
    I'll go ahead and say just get the computer now. I just pulled the trigger last week on a 2011 15.4" high-res glossy w/ the 2.2ghz processor and I can't begin to tell you how awesome this machine is. Do it, you won't regret it.
     
  13. mikeytwice macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2005
    #13
    I'm sure the redesign will be great, but I have to say... at least for someone upgrading from a 5 year old Dell Latitude like me, you won't feel stuck with an old, ****** design if you go with the current generation... pretty g**damn beautiful!
     
  14. awer25 macrumors 65816

    awer25

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2011
    #14
    Some of these threads HAVE to be trolling...I mean how many times can the same question be asked? I say stop feeding the trolls and direct them to the search bar. Or, at least stop replying once the requisite "buy now if you need or wait if you don't" statement is made in Post #2.

    [/rant]
     
  15. tombubi macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2011
    #15
    Neither anyone can guarantee the redesign will come out next year, nor someone can say the redesign will surely be better. As long as what is on the market does the job you need, go for it.
     
  16. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

    smallnshort247

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2010
    #16
    Even though the chances of a redesign seem pretty high, it's not for certain that it will happen in 2012. Even if it does happen, theres a possibility that you won't like the way it looks. So if you really need it, buy it now. If you don't need it, just keep waiting and see what happens!
     

Share This Page