New MBP now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xil3, Nov 17, 2009.

  1. Xil3 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2007
    Location:
    London
    #1
    I currently have the Santa Rosa MBP, which is just over 2 years old now, and was considering getting a new one.

    So here are my options - I could get a new one now, or wait it out and get one when the next processor upgrade happens.

    Originally I was very optimistic about the new one coming out in January, but after reading some new rumors, it looks like the new Arrandale CPUs won't be in till a bit later in the year (2010).

    What do you guys think? My current laptop has been working great since I got it - just recently though the keyboard has been unresponsive once in awhile when coming out of sleep. Sometimes I would have to restart it to fix the problem, and other times I could just close the lid (force sleep) and then reopening it again.

    This concerns me a bit, mainly for the resale value - I wanted to sell this one and just get a new one.
     
  2. rgarjr macrumors 603

    rgarjr

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    Southern Calif
    #2
    if your current one still does the job, then i would wait for the transition with the newer architecture chips.
     
  3. cmaier macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #3
    I use a santa rosa 17" as my main machine. And while my wife's 15" uMBP from this year can rip dvds about twice as fast as my machine can, other than that I find my machine pretty much instantaneous for everything else I do (word processing, light photoshop/illustrator, xcode, etc.) The only thing that runs too slow is Aperture, but I think that's going to be the case on a new machine, too.

    Unless you're seeing slow performance in what you're doing, I'd hold off.
     
  4. Xil3 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2007
    Location:
    London
    #4
    Yeah, it's still working fast enough for whatever I need it to do.

    I guess I'll wait until the Arrandale, which I'm hoping is going to be out in Jan...
     
  5. bmstrong macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 30, 2007
  6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #6
    Just wait, it's going to be a rough two-three months, but it really is going to be worth it.
     

Share This Page