New MBP now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xil3, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Xil3 macrumors regular

I currently have the Santa Rosa MBP, which is just over 2 years old now, and was considering getting a new one.

So here are my options - I could get a new one now, or wait it out and get one when the next processor upgrade happens.

Originally I was very optimistic about the new one coming out in January, but after reading some new rumors, it looks like the new Arrandale CPUs won't be in till a bit later in the year (2010).

What do you guys think? My current laptop has been working great since I got it - just recently though the keyboard has been unresponsive once in awhile when coming out of sleep. Sometimes I would have to restart it to fix the problem, and other times I could just close the lid (force sleep) and then reopening it again.

This concerns me a bit, mainly for the resale value - I wanted to sell this one and just get a new one.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

if your current one still does the job, then i would wait for the transition with the newer architecture chips.

3. cmaier macrumors G3

I use a santa rosa 17" as my main machine. And while my wife's 15" uMBP from this year can rip dvds about twice as fast as my machine can, other than that I find my machine pretty much instantaneous for everything else I do (word processing, light photoshop/illustrator, xcode, etc.) The only thing that runs too slow is Aperture, but I think that's going to be the case on a new machine, too.

Unless you're seeing slow performance in what you're doing, I'd hold off.

4. Xil3 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it's still working fast enough for whatever I need it to do.

I guess I'll wait until the Arrandale, which I'm hoping is going to be out in Jan...

5. bmstrong macrumors 6502a

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Just wait, it's going to be a rough two-three months, but it really is going to be worth it.