New MBP now or wait?

Xil3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
London
I currently have the Santa Rosa MBP, which is just over 2 years old now, and was considering getting a new one.

So here are my options - I could get a new one now, or wait it out and get one when the next processor upgrade happens.

Originally I was very optimistic about the new one coming out in January, but after reading some new rumors, it looks like the new Arrandale CPUs won't be in till a bit later in the year (2010).

What do you guys think? My current laptop has been working great since I got it - just recently though the keyboard has been unresponsive once in awhile when coming out of sleep. Sometimes I would have to restart it to fix the problem, and other times I could just close the lid (force sleep) and then reopening it again.

This concerns me a bit, mainly for the resale value - I wanted to sell this one and just get a new one.

cmaier

macrumors P6
Jul 25, 2007
California
I use a santa rosa 17" as my main machine. And while my wife's 15" uMBP from this year can rip dvds about twice as fast as my machine can, other than that I find my machine pretty much instantaneous for everything else I do (word processing, light photoshop/illustrator, xcode, etc.) The only thing that runs too slow is Aperture, but I think that's going to be the case on a new machine, too.

Unless you're seeing slow performance in what you're doing, I'd hold off.

Xil3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
London
Yeah, it's still working fast enough for whatever I need it to do.

I guess I'll wait until the Arrandale, which I'm hoping is going to be out in Jan...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.