New MBP, old iPhone....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by antoniaesque, Dec 29, 2010.

1. antoniaesque macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster - I'm hoping someone out there can help me - I took delivery of my brand-spanking new MacBook Pro 13" today and am eager to start getting myself sorted out to finally make the leap from PC to Apple.

However, I have one issue that I'm erring and aahing over - both my iPhone 3G and iPad are synced to my old PC laptop.

If I move over the contents of my iTunes from the old to the new, is it possible to securely move over the backups for both or will I lose the data on them? As my phone is now over two years old, I'm not particularly happy at the prospect of losing everything on it.

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated! :D

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

When I moved from a PC to my MBP13 in November, I followed the fairly easily found instructions for moving my iTunes library over to my Mac. I synced my iphone 4 to my PC before moving the library over. When I synced it with the MBP it seemed to work just fine and everything was good. I still had the PC to go back and do a restore of my iphone from if something didn't work.

I don't remember the specific link to instructions on moving your itunes from a PC to a Mac, but they should be easily found via Google.

I would think that an ipad would be similar.

3. nippyjun macrumors 65816

i recently moved 4 ios devices from pc to mac. What i did was copy all the music into the corresponding directory in the mac. I plugged in an iphone and backed it up on the mac. Then i transferred all purchases on it to the mac. Then i synced it. This is where there is an issue. I couldn't find a way to sync it without losing all of my folders. After learning this with the first device i took screenshots of all subsequent idevices so i would know what app goes in what folder. I don't know if you restore from the backup after you sync what would happen. I thought it would be better to recreate the folders.

For subsequent devices it wants to add any apps that are not already on the device but are on the mac. So before you sync subsequent devices go to the apps tab in itunes and get rid of the apps you don't want installed on the device.

For the most part all of my app data remained on the devices. a couple of games lost data.

Hope this helps.

4. antoniaesque thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I did a bit of googling and found a step by step guide, so I'm going to give it a whirl this afternoon.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!