New MBP, old iPod, need some help...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by swmr, Mar 1, 2008.

1. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

So yea I have a new MBP and an iPod video 30 GB. This morning i finished moving and organizing all of my music files, and I was ready to sync it to the my iPod which was previously windows based. I plugged it in, and chose the erase and re-sync option. I assumed that it would reformat to make my iPod a "Mac iPod" but it did not. As far as I know, everything still works okay, and my iPod is still a windows iPod.

Is this normal? Anybody have any ideas to format my iPod to a mac format?

If it helps, I have used a program called IpodWizard to "modify" my iPod and put a background on it. As far as I know, this is allowed as it only modifies the firmware and can always be restored by plugging into iTunes and updating. Not sure about forum rules on talking about these programs, but I think its okay.

2. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I would just do a restore when you have it plugged in to iTunes. You'll lose your songs and videos, but it should reformat it to mac and sync it to your iTunes. Then just move songs/vids back on and you're good to go!

3. swmr thread starter macrumors regular

swmr

I figured I could do that, but right now I have a pretty sweet graffiti background with some modified text. Would it hurt to keep the iPod the way it is even though I am using a MBP, or should I definitely do the restore and re-sync.

Problem is I don't know how many people would know the proper answer. I think it would just come down to my preference.

4. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

A Windows formatted iPod only means that the hard drive is formatted as FAT32. There is no functional difference in iTunes. Personally, I have mine as Windows format to use as an external hard drive and so I can plug it into my PS3 and play music and videos from it.