New MBP on Back to the Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theuidx, Oct 18, 2010.

  1. theuidx macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2010
    #1
    Does anybody expect that new Macbook Pro will be released on this October 20th - Back to the Mac - event? I'm planning for a new MBP, but I keep hesitating to buy right now or late. Buyers guide says there are about 20 days to go for a new MBP, uh, anyways, do you think that a new MBP will be released on Oct 20th?
     
  2. spinnerlys Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #2
    Unlikely, and if it happens, it will be a speed bump. But you can wait two/three more days to find out or look at the other dozens of similar threads about this subject.
     
  3. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

    LouieSamman

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    Location:
    Orlando, Florida
    #3
    I don't know if the event will announce many updates.

    They are supposedly updating the MBA, iLife, OSX, iWork.

    And so they want to stay in that field of updating and put all the attention towards that.

    With updating the MBA I don't think they will take the attention away by also announce a even better MacBook Pro.

    Maybe a silent update? Seems reasonable if they are just going to do a speed update to the MacBook Pro and nothing extraordinary that needs to be announced.
     
  4. mrkramer macrumors 603

    mrkramer

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Somewhere
    #4
    I don't think it's likely, there may be a small speed bump, but I don't think even that will happen. Even though the buyers guide lists it as near the end of a cycle, Apple has only updated it this soon 3 or 4 times most of which were adding new screen sizes, or during the intel transition, and those updates have thrown the average update time off a little.
     
  5. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

    LouieSamman

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    Location:
    Orlando, Florida
    #5
    Yeah so it seems rather than doing a speed bump they will just come out with a better update for sometime next year instead of updating it now.
     
  6. mofunk macrumors 68000

    mofunk

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2009
    Location:
    Americas
    #6
    It would be nice if they updated Final Cut Express. I know iMovie is nice but it still doesn't have a lot of the stuff that FCE has.
     
  7. theuidx thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2010
  8. spinnerlys Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #8
    No, you can buy now or after the Wednesdays event to make sure, nothing new has been released.

    Maybe the current generation of MBPs will be sufficient enough to satisfy your computational needs more than you need.
     
  9. neteng101 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2009
    #9
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a small speed bump - i7-640M, i5-560M and i5-580M is out now. If that's the case, you might get decent deals on clearouts of older models.
     
  10. Lambros macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2010
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #10
    I thought I would provide my opinion on this whole situation...

    From rumors that we have seen, the MBA seems to be updating, yet keeping the C2D processor. If Apple did update to the i3 processor, then the MBP and MB would need to be updated too. Reason for this is that a MBA would take all attention away from MB or MBP 13". It doesn't seem Apple would make this change. Unless, they update the MBP 13" and MBA, then keep the MB as product which utilises the C2D processor.

    Additionally, if Apple did upgrade the MBP it would only bump up speeds in the 15" and 17" models. The 13" model would POSSIBLY, but unlikely be upgraded to a core iX processor. It is really quite impossible to tell. Some are saying Apple will wait for Sandy Bridge. SB isn't going to be released just yet, and even if they release in Jan 2011 (which is very early so it seems) then Apple wouldn't upgrade their processors until Feb 2011 or after. Note how long we waited for Arrandale processors. This wait until Feb 2011 would be 10 months since their last release, which is quite long, and if you're looking for an update now, it might not be the best decision to wait. Apple could potentially upgrade the processors AND design now, i.e. 10/2010. This means the next update wouldn't be released until maybe WWDC 2011. Also, 10.7 is probably going to be released then, so this could be a perfect time to release a new set of MBPs to be the first laptops running the OS by default.

    So, an upgrade now could work quite well from Apple's perspective. However, to me it seems that unless a new design is being released, not much can be done to the MBP 15"/17". Upgrading these two models without a design change might not attract many new customers, probably making this not economical from Apple's point of view. So, I think that unless a design change is going to be released (which is likely, but not desperately needed) then I wouldn't hold off much longer than 20 October.

    Just my opinion. At the end of the day I could be 100% wrong :apple:
     
  11. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

    lilcosco08

    Joined:
    May 27, 2010
    Location:
    Dayton
    #11
    It seems that it will focus on software + MBA
    hopefully a new MBP will be the "one more thing" :D
     
  12. DanMacApple macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
    #12
    The main rumors focus on the MacBook Air so I wouldn't count on any update for the the MBP.
     

Share This Page