New MBP? On the fence.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kupoback, Dec 26, 2009.

  1. Kupoback macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2009
    #1
    So I've read a lot of threads and people have asked a lot of questions about whether they should buy or wait. It seems that their main purpose for using a MPB doesn't seem to fall in line with mine, so I figured, without a negative strain on the forum, I could ask this question, again.

    I'm currently looking at the high end MBP for college. I'm going to school for Web Design, and will be taking classes that use adobe suite programs, like sound booth, photoshop, illustrator, InDesign, etc... I'm all set to purchase that the week of Jan 11th, yet since I'm hearing about all the news about the a possible new MBP respec, is it worth the wait for what I'm doing? From what I hear, going from NVidia's integrated GPU to Intel's GPU will be a huge step down. So while kind of answering my own question, I'm still on the fence.

    Can I wait, yes. Would it bother me if I had the "old" generation MBP? No.

    What I'd be doing on the MBP's, is prolly mild to heavy games, (sims 3, WoW, Quake 4, over to Windows side for HL2 etc...), daily routine (email, internet), and adobe programs.

    What do you guys suggest I do?
     
  2. SirDarren macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2009
    #2
    I also have a very similar question.

    Will check back here for replies.
     
  3. spinnerlys Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #3
    If you can wait, buy now. Or wait. Or ....

    When the updated MBPs are released and those are not to your liking, you can still buy the older models, maybe even with some kind of discount.
     
  4. Kupoback thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2009
    #4
    I was thinking that, but I won't know the difference between the two. I plan on making this purchase and not needing to upgrade for at least 3-4 years. So, I was hoping that someone who was a little more up to speed on what the new chip can do, if it would benefit an art student, if the programs I'd be using will even take advantage of the new chip, would be able to help me pick a side.
     
  5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

    t0mat0

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Location:
    Home
    #5
    If you need one now, get one now. If you can wait comfortably till February, do that.
     
  6. skye12 macrumors 65816

    skye12

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2006
    Location:
    Austin, Tx
    #6
    The way I look at it, the old one goes on sale as soon as the new model is released. Its a win-win to wait and then even buy the old model cheaper
    or buy the new one with superior spec's.
     
  7. Kupoback thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2009
    #7
    I'll just have to go through my first week of class, and see if a laptop can be put on hold or not.

    But please, if anyone can answer my questions from a technical stand point, I'd much appreciate it.
     
  8. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    As others have stated, if you need a new MBP now, then go for it, if not hold off

    As for your technical questions, no one can answer what the future will hold, but if you want to play games or run adobe products the current crop of MBPs are more then up to the task.
     
  9. darkus macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2007
    #9
    If you really need one now, I would just get it. The specs on these things are very high and Id be surprised if you could tell the difference when the new models come out. I cant in honesty tell the difference between a 2.4ghz and 2.8ghz let alone 3.06.
     

Share This Page