New MBP On the Way!!! 8)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 3rdLittlePiggie, May 27, 2009.

1. 3rdLittlePiggie macrumors member

3rdLittlePiggie

Hello, one and all! This is my first post, although I've been lurking for a while now.

I wanted to share that after a long time, I have finally made the move to upgrade from my late 2007 G4 14" iBook! I was going to get one of the refurbs from the Apple store until I found out that they still charge sales tax...BOO!

Then I thought, well, I have my own business, maybe they will give me a business discount...nope...so I started googling everything I could come up with such as "Macbook Pro Deals" and "Macbook Pro Sales" and after wading through for 2 days, what seemed like an infinite number of places, I stumbled upon this website https://www.springboardstore.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3, and so this morning I am happy to say that I am now the proud owner of a new MBP!

Man am I pumped!

Which brings me to some questions. Seeing as this is a gigantic upgrade for me, from a G4 to a 2.53 Core 2, I'm really excited about all the options and possibilities. So let me have em, what should I get for it when it gets here? (Application-Wise) And are there things I should definitely do/not do? I am planning on trying out Windows 7 so I can do some gaming, and I think I have the whole back-up thing finished, but is there something I should definitely do?

Thanks everyone, and I'm glad I could finally join the 21st Century!:D

3rdLittlePiggie

2. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

Pretty good deal! Your patience paid off. Congrats on your purchase. Enjoy

3. 3rdLittlePiggie thread starter macrumors member

3rdLittlePiggie

Thanks, yeah I really wanted to get the 2.66 so I could go up to 8gigs of RAM eventually, but just couldn't see spending that much more cash.

But I was really excited that I was able to get the 512MB NVidia, because the refurb I almost bought was only 256.

3rdLittlePiggie

4. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

even though the difference between 256 and 512 in games is negligible on the 9600GT

5. 3rdLittlePiggie thread starter macrumors member

3rdLittlePiggie

Well I was super happy, becuase my primary function for this computer is not games, but Graphic Design, so I'll be using the extra 256MB at least a little bit, plus it extends the life of the computer just a little bit longer, and the biggest factor that made me excited was it was the same price as the refurb, but no tax! :D

6. Wotan31 macrumors 6502

You're asking us what applications you need?? :confused: Ok, whatever. :rolleyes: You need Shake and X-San. You *need* them. If you don't buy these two, you will have wasted your money.

7. 3rdLittlePiggie thread starter macrumors member

3rdLittlePiggie

Haha sorry for the miscommunication! I have CS4 and all the other Graphics programs I need! Haha just thought there might be other gems out there for day-to-day stuff that I haven't been able to get because of my ancient g4 processor.

8. youssefm macrumors 6502

Congrats, seems like a great deal! Trust me, you'll learn to grow onto your mbp, it turns into an obsession haha, and by going for such a leap from powerbook to this, good idea :D

9. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

congrats man, looks like ur searching paid off

10. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Get an external Firewire 800 Hard Drive and start using Time Machine for backups, I think it is one of the most important things to do when you first start to use your new MacBook Pro.

Good Luck :rolleyes:

11. 3rdLittlePiggie thread starter macrumors member

3rdLittlePiggie

Its Here!!! Just have to figure out how to convince my boss to let me off early...**cough** **cough** I think I feel swine flu coming on!

12. killianb macrumors regular

killianb

Hahaha, very good! I know the feeling -- my MacBook Pro came this morning, just 2 hours before I had to leave for work! :( I'm itching to go home and play on it, however I'm here until 11p.m. :(

13. Master Fasmo macrumors newbie

Hey! This is my first post. :eek:

Thanks for the link to the Macbook you just ordered. Please follow up after you played around with it. I was considering buying the newer MBP 2.66 w/ 4 gigs for $2299 with student ID. But after seeing this post I’m thinking your choice might be better for the money.

My only concern is I believe 4 gigs for ram is the max yours can take and the newer one takes up to 8 gigs. I think.

This will be my first MAC. Used for light video editing / webpage design.

Any suggestions? How do you like it so far?

Also, does anyone think there will there be a refresh this month?

Lots of questions ... sorry!

Thanks!

14. macgrl macrumors 65816

Hope you enjoy your new machine, they are great. I do love mine.:)

15. 3rdLittlePiggie thread starter macrumors member

3rdLittlePiggie

My first impressions are 2 Big Thumbs WAY UP!

I also was concerned about the not being able to have 8gigs of RAM because while I dont do all that much video, I do on the other hand do 3D and graphic design and am trying to boost my Flash and After Effects chops, so that was a big factor...that being said, I finally got to the place where I was like...you know what I need to just spend the $2000 and not worry about it, plus, the 2.53 can handle 6gigs, but the increase is only slight, so i really didnt think it was all that important...plus...saving $500 was way worth it for me.

As for how it was from the company, I'm super happy! They were extremely helpful, and I will definitely be ordering more from them! Plus you get points for buying things from them that can then be used to get discounts on future orders. For example, I got 275 points for buying the MBP and then because it was my first order and I did it over the phone they gave me another 100, so I have 375 which equals $37.50 off something else, which will most likely be AppleCare later on...so yeah without this reply becoming an advertisement, there you go.

Everyone keeps asking about the refresh, no harm in waiting till after WWDC next week to find out...that being said, everyone else seems to think that its going to be minor if at all, the major thing should be iPhone 3.0 and SnowLeopard! ;) Hopefully!

I think that answers all your questions.

Oh, yeah I do love it, quite a jump from my 1.3GHz G4 14" iBook! Haha Its awesome that I can actually use CS4 now, I was barely able to work with it before!

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congratulations on your new computer and it seems as though your persistence and patience paid off. May both you and your wonderful new MBP live long and prosper together. I have a MBP and I must say that it is easily the best computer I have ever had. Enjoy.

Cheers and good luck