New MBP on the way!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Akaal, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Akaal macrumors member

Akaal

Hi guys, this is my first post!

Just ordered my new MBP from apple on sunday, didnt know it was gonna take like a week n half to arrive from china! should have jus bought it from the store, but i went for an additional 50GB to the 200GB that comes standard!

Im going crazy waiting for it, taking too long, they saying its gonna arrive between 9th-10th april, like another week away! :(

in new to mac, well this is my first ever mac, im currently using one at work, and cant wait for my MBP to come!

Jus wondered are they any tips and stuff to keep my MBA mint n stuff?

Ive ordered a speck clear case and iskin for the keyboard, so that shud keep it mint!

from a geek point of view, are there any rituals or ceremony for first time users? ive noticed a lot of 'jus got my mac, and unpacking it' videos, lol.

2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

I'm confused..

Have you ordered a MBP or MBA?

You mention both! lol

3. Akaal thread starter macrumors member

Akaal

4. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

download a program called Onyx. This is a good program for keeping your computer clean and getting rid of files that clog up your computer.

I would also suggest in investing in something like appzapper or clean app (my preferred) this is for when you delete an application it deletes all the files that are associated with it so it doesnt leave an annoying trail on the computer!

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Since you get it fresh I would reistall the OS from the install disks you get. This gives you the chance to delete language files and printer drivers you don't want, and if you know you won't use it, garageband and its loops.

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

another thing to know is that your computer will come with iLife, but most ilife apps (except iWeb) have big brothers. iMovie has Final Cut Express, and iPhoto has Aperture, and garageband has Logic Express. If you would be interested in furthering any production quality in music, film or photos I would strongly recommend one of them. (my favorite is Aperture)

8. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I've been reading alot that speck cases will scratch your mac.

Just a thought :p

9. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

we got the iskin for my moms MB but after about three months of using it, the screen showed the outline for the skin, so we've taken it off. anybody else have anything on the iskin?? also, two apps that ive found helpful are YouControl, an app to customize your menu bar, and quicksilver, an app to enable you to use shortcuts. i dont know about the MBP, but the MBs speakers are awful. get something to defragment the computer to keep it fresh. incase is a good brand for the case, and, if you want, get an external HD for time machine.

10. billmister macrumors 6502

Hey what's up. Congrats on your purchase. I got mine alittle over a week ago and it's the BEST!! I love it soooo much. I actually just upgraded the hard drive yesterday to 320gig, and took the 250 out..

Anyway this is my second laptop ever, the first was a dell and it was great but i sold it. This was 2001. Anyway Mac products are, I believe the BEST and I love that i own their products.

From owning my iMac, to my MacBook Pro, they are great solid Machines. Take care of them! and they will def take care of your needs in term of Computer use.

11. Akaal thread starter macrumors member

Akaal

ive read some of the reviews, some dont like it and it has been scratched, but some have found it fine, i guess ya need to clean it every few months or so, hopefully it wont scratch, aint the end of the world if it does, just gota take the risk, will write a review on it after a few months hey!

thanks guys for all ya support!

still waiting another week! :(

12. Akaal thread starter macrumors member

Akaal

hey guys, its here, no not quite the MBP, the day is here! ive foned like tnt 3 times this week, lol, and its on the way to my work place now, i so cant wait to get home and unpack it, this is the only time im actually going crazy, waiting for the MBP! I really should have just gone and bought it from the store, but oh well, im getting it 2day, so cant wait, even made a list of wat i gota do wen i get it (transfer pc files, updates, msn, etc)!
    :):D

thanks for all the advice 2!