New MBP only getting 2-3 hours of battery power.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fel10, Mar 9, 2011.

1. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

So just like the title says. I'm only getting 2-3 hours of battery power on my new MBP. I calibrated my battery yesterday, to see if that fixed the issue, but it didn't. All I'm using is Safari and iTunes. The battery percentage seems to be dropping 1% every 2 minutes. Anything I can do to fix this. My 14 days return policy will be up this Sunday, should I try to exchange it b4 the 14 days is up??

2. /user/me macrumors 6502

Depends on what you're doing in Safari. Most likely, your settings and your activities are what's keeping your battery life short. If you're worried, have :apple: check it out. Just to put it in perspective though, you're overreacting a bit, because i drained my iphone 4 in 2 hours when i first got it just because it was new and exciting and I was using it very intesively. I'm thinking that's what's happening here.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Is it possible that your itunes is doing some importing or spotlight is indexing lots of files? Did you check the activity monitor to see what is causing the high load?

4. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

All I'm doing on Safari is checking the news sites like MacRumors, CNN, 9 To 5 Mac. Not watching any videos or anything. And I just fully charged my MBP today. Even though the battery icon said 100%, it was saying I only had 3:30 hrs left on my battery, and I wasn't even doing anything.

5. /user/me macrumors 6502

What about screen and keyboard brightness? are you running Parallels?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your battery life from a charge is dependent on many factors, including screen brightness, WiFi, Bluetooth, apps/processes/widgets running, multimedia of any kind, etc. Use Activity Monitor to see if you have any runaway process that's consuming system resources, as well as your "Page Outs" and "Swap used" under "System Memory".

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

7. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

Here, I took a pic of "Activity Monitor". Nothing major running.
    [​IMG]

And this what the battery icon was showing.
    [​IMG]

8. adztaylor macrumors 68000

Do you have iStat or Coconut Battery to determine the health of your battery?

9. /user/me macrumors 6502

Just based on what i can see here, you're running wifi, bluetooth, itunes and safari. if you start or stop applications, you will notice that your battery life remanining increases or decreases appropriately.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try again. Change the "My Processes" to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading to sort in descending order by CPU usage. Also check System Memory at the bottom, as I mentioned in my other post. Install iStat Pro to check your battery health.

11. iZero macrumors regular

12. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

i think the new battery is horrible because I had a 13" macbook pro late 2010 which I sold and it lasted me about 7 to 8 hours with full brightness, wifi on, while having many windows and memory hog sites like youtube.

I bought the new top of the line 15" and i get at most 3 hours running the same settings, when I put the screen brightness at lowest it increases to 5 hours...not to mention that I turned off the high end graphics.
    Somehow the screen brightness is taking up a lot of battery, which wasn't the issue before...does HD resolution have anything to do with it?

13. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

[​IMG]

Istat Pro

[​IMG]

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You still didn't sort by CPU usage, and you didn't check System Memory. Also, you mentioned that you calibrated the battery. How, exactly, did you do that?

15. fel10 thread starter macrumors 68000

fel10

Oops my bad

16. /user/me macrumors 6502

You didn't sort it by cpu usage.... Even so, iStat says your battery health is 100%. there's nothing to worry about..

17. iZero macrumors regular

I don't think so... My 17 inch maxed out MBP 2011, if I dim the screen down, turn off keyboard lights, bluetooth, etc. and am doing nothing intensive, lasted me an entire 9 and a half hour day... Granted it would sleep for a few minutes at a time here and there, and was just being used for word processing, so wifi was off too except at lunch. but it lasts just as long as my 2010 17 inch did. Battery life can be affected by so many variables...

18. Jphillippe macrumors regular

Jphillippe

hmm i'm gonna do some testing today, I'm sure I can get 9 hours with all those settings off, but with the 13 inch I got about 7-8 with those settings on, so that's what throws me off.

19. iZero macrumors regular

Well, I can usually get at least 6-7 hours if I have wifi on and use it very lightly. It depends, because I like to watch Youtube sometimes, and I tend to do a lot more things connected to the internet so it usually is more like 4.5-5.5 hours if I'm actually using it like that. Now, if I turn my brightness up, and keyboard lights, etc. it drops to about 2-3 hours. Watching video/listening to music with all that, even less. I know the bigger models will probably never be as long lived battery wise as the 13 inch just through the nature of being larger/having larger backlights/etc.

20. NewToMac11 macrumors member

ive been getting around the 7 hours stated. granted i'm only browsing the web with 2-3 tabs open, it gets my thru my day at college with out haveing to charge it at all. this is with keyboard lights off, brightness on screen about 1/3 way up.

21. sk3tch macrumors regular

I have the same laptop as you but I have the Apple/Toshiba 128GB SSD. I get insane battery life...like...I haven't been able to calibrate it yet because it lasts so damn long lol. 4+ easy on the 6750M full-time...

22. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

OP:

Guarantee you that Bluetooth isn't helping your cause. Especially if it's "searching" for devices.

23. skier777 macrumors 6502

It really varies, my predicted time left can go from 2 hours at 100% to 9 hours at 80%.
    It can be even shorter if im maxing everything out while i use photoshop, illustrator and autocad itunes and firefox at the same time or something.

Try reducing screen and keyboard brightness and you might find it goes way up.

24. adomanico18 macrumors member

adomanico18

What is your screen brightness at? That is a huge indicator of how fast your battery will drain.

25. jkpark78 macrumors newbie

I think your AMD GPU is activated by some process - iStat is showing GPU temp.. at least on my 2010 MBP, GPU is shown as "-" when intel GPU is being used. That would account for some shortening in your battery life
    Get gfxCardStatus and check what GPU is running.

Also, you can't trust that "time left." That is constantly adjusted depending on how much amp you are using at any given moment..