New MBP or IPad Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jaytee1414, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Jaytee1414 macrumors newbie

Jaytee1414

Hi,
    I'm currently on a Macbook Pro 2011 13" i7 upgrade to 16gb ram and 256gb SSD. Have been using it for almost 8 years, but feel like it's finally time an upgrade with the battery dying and slow for my use for coding, photo editing and sometime video editing. I was planning to get the new 2019 MBP 13" i5 upgraded to 16gb ram and 500gb ssd but the new IPadOS make the IPad Pro, so useful made me wonder should I just go and get an IPad 11".

Yet, the sidecar app make its the perfect item next to a MBP using app like lightroom. So guys any advice? Such as get the 2019MBP 13" with an 11" IPad Pro, or Macbook air 13" with an IPad Pro, or just get a MBP / Ipad individually

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

It depends on your needs. Just make a list of all the things you currently do with your MacBook Pro and see if they are possible on the iPad. Research before you buy. If you want to be on the safe side, get the new MacBook Pro. It is much more versatile than the iPad and has zero restrictions/limitations. Also, if you plan on coding, research if you can do that on an iPad (most probably not).
    I would get the MacBook Pro, but only you can answer your own question by doing your research.

3. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

Video editing and coding sounds more like MBP at this stage.

I want to move from a 2012 15” MBP (1Tb SSD + 500GB SSD and 16GB RAM), but the comparable 2019 version is sooooo expensive.

I’m trying to adapt my ways, and with iPadOS in the works, the 2020 12” iPad Pro (1Tb) is my target.

4. CPTmom2wp macrumors 6502

CPTmom2wp

Hi! I have a 15" late 2013, i7, that also needs to be upgraded in the near future. I'm holding out for the new rumored 16" MBP, with the thought that I will keep it for at least 6+ years as well. Personally, I like the bigger screen for video and editing. I might wait another year myself after the release of the model I would like to have in order to get a refurbished or gently used laptop. I bought a new IPP, 11", last year, and it will last a long time. Perhaps you could buy the IPP now, and see if you still need the MBP?? Just a thought.