new MBP or MP for video editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Luis Ortega, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

With the new Santa Rosa MBP with the faster fsb and 4 gb memory, how do they compare to a mac pro in terms of performance for running FCP studio 2 and Adobe CS3 production suite? I would use fast external hard drives with the MBP.
    Can a MBP handle the software mentioned without exceeding its performance limits?
    Thanks a lot for any advice.

2. Igantius macrumors 65816

3. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

MBP is plenty fast for SD editing. Don't know about HD though...

4. 247phil macrumors newbie

J Freak has the right idea...

If you plan on touching HD, it's a MP - hands down. Fibre Channel is a lot easier on the Mac if you have access to dropping in a Apple-branded fibre-channel card, and using their equipment (aka Xserve RAID) [well, I should probably say: It's easier to get support if you need it - Apple likes it that way. ;-)]

That notwithstanding however, I haven't seen a lot of options for doing anything above 2 tracks of SD on a MBP - you would need the AJA I/O or something similar.

A MBP can do more than the 2 tracks of SD that I mentioned, but it takes a fat wallet (so does a MP). I work as an editor, and 90% of the projects that I touch are SD or DV... so it was a MBP all the way. If you are in a similar situation, don't rule out the 24-inch iMac either - that's a killer machine, it's got FW800, big display, and it's pretty quick.

Oh there is ONE MORE THING.. ;-)

Make sure you take note of Final Cut Studio's ENTIRE package when you install it - if you install all the apps and content, it's right around 70GB! For that, the extra drives in a MP would be great...