New MBP or New Specs? Mid 2009 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DorkyPhilip, Mar 17, 2014.

1. DorkyPhilip macrumors newbie

Howdy,

I am contemplating updating my 2009 MBP with an OWC Data Doubler +SSD through optical drive and upgrading to larger RAM. However, the computer is older, running a Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz processor.

How noticeable will improvements be for the iOS/loading speeds/gaming/etc with this processor? Will the older processor bottleneck the system despite the upgraded memory? I'm not overly concerned with OC-level improvements. Just wanting to sustain the functionality.

I'd like to make this Mac last as long as possible before having to purchase a new comp.

-Dorky

P.S. I'm still doing my research but am not very computer-savvy!

Specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz
    2 2GB DDR3 RAM
    320 GB Stock HDD
    Eek, computers!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your computer does not run iOS, your iPhone does. You're using OS X.

A SSD will speed things up as far as booting, opening of apps and loading times.

If you are worried about gaming speed(graphical choppiness, for example) a SSD and more RAM will do absolutely nothing for you.

3. DorkyPhilip thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. I was typing the original thread from my iPhone and was clearly mixing the two mentally.

I am not too concerned with FPS. The extent of my gameplay never exceeds the spec requirements of, say, Starcraft. I'm just looking to refresh the booting, loading, etc.

-Dorky