New MBP or upgrade old one

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bchaplin, Dec 29, 2009.

  1. bchaplin macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    #1
    I'm still trying to puzzle out what to do with my MacBook Pro. It is the early 2008 "Penryn" with a 2.4GHz processor. It needs a new battery, some extra RAM, and a larger hard drive, to be really useful to me in the next year or so. Those will cost about $300-$400.

    Or I could sell it and buy a new one. The price to upgrade after selling my current laptop would be about $1200-$1400, depending on the configuration. I'd upgrade to the same 15inch screen I'm using now, so it would be a 2.6 or 2.8GHz processor.

    Based on the initial numbers, it seems obvious that I'd be better off upgrading, but I am not completely sure. First, if I wait a year or so, the resale value of my MBP, currently estimated at $950, plummets. Second, I don't really know the lifespan of my laptop -- I've been pretty rough on it and dragged it around the world more than a few times. So if I can get a good value for it I might want to trade up before it becomes obsolete and/or craps out on me. The alternative philosophy is to just invest some money on upgrades and hope that it lasts me another 2 years. My luck with laptops after the 2 year mark has so far not been great, hence my worry.

    The most processor-intensive thing I use it for is loading raw photos which I process in Lightroom. I also will be using it to run Parallels & Windows 7, but not doing anything very power-hungry on the Windows side.

    And yes, yes, I know ... wait for February to upgrade.
     
  2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

    Badger^2

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Location:
    Sacramento
    #2
    LOL, then ask again in February?

    Until the new MBPs come out and we find out how much they cost and what chips they get, its kind of a guessing game...
     
  3. bchaplin thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    #3
    because...

    Because I might want to sell my current laptop in the next few weeks. I have a quote that is only good through mid-January.
     
  4. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

    Jaro65

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #4
    So really, why not just do that? If you're not doing anything terribly processor intensive, you may be totally fine with maxing your RAM and putting in a faster/bigger HD. And if you put in an SSD, you could even make yourself believe that you do have a new MBP. :)

    But, from the return on investment perspective, it may probably at this stage be better to just get a nice 7200 RPM HD. So you're looking at a $400 expenditure (including RAM and battery). The new laptop you're probably thinking of getting is going to depreciate that much with the 6-8 months after you bought it. I would upgrade your current machine, stash the money into the piggy bank, and keep saving.... A year later you may be ok to go ahead with an SSD upgrade and further extend the lifespan of your MBP, or maybe at that stage buy a new MBP with SSD in it.

    So, what do you think? :)
     

Share This Page