New MBP or wait for Nehalem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Negotiator74, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Negotiator74 macrumors newbie

So I have made very few posts here and I really need someone's advice who is knowledgable about current tech.

I really need to update my MBP. So, how soon will the Nehalem mobile chip be available? I have really been wanting to wait for that chip since my understanding is that it is going to rock. Is that true? I would hate to buy the new MBP and then have the Nehalem version rolled out in 6 months.

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!!

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Rule of thumb:

Buy what you need. Wait for what you want.

3. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Exactly. If you need it, buy it. If you don't, don't buy it. That simple.

4. Negotiator74 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's great but do you know anything about the timing of the Nehalem availability for mobile? Is that chip supposed to kick *ss??

5. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

It's gonna be another year or two. If you can wait that long... go right ahead. If you need it now, just buy it now and think about upgrading later. There's no use in waiting for technology. It changes everyday.

6. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

if you think ur work (future work) will require quad then I say wait. If not then go for it now. My brother is like you (have the 2007 mbp) and was thinking about buying the new one. However he started using few statitics and epidemiological programs which duo 2 core is very slow to conduct (took him 6-7 hours to finish one analysis!!!) so he uses the lap quad computers now rather than the comfort of home. He decided now to wait for the quad. Very likely end of 2009 or 1Q of 2010. Indication? Snow leopard support for quad use and the big fuss about this feature in yesterday conference.

7. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Probably not two. People are projecting early 2010 based on the Intel roadmap for mobile processors.

8. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

If you need a quad core, buy a desktop

Apparently the new laptop quad cores are going to clock around 1.6ghz starting off. Now, I know clock for clock it's different, but in desktops people are still finding that the higher clocked C2D is outperforming the lower clocked QC.

I'd buy now and wait for QC to mature in about 2-3 years.

9. nws0291 macrumors 6502

Intel roadmaps are pointing to a Q1/Q2 2010 release assuming everything goes well. Don't expect apple to update for a couple months to get enough supply. I would think they would be available in next summers refresh in the best case scenario.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Every new chip is billed that way. :)

If you wait for the latest and greatest you will wait forever.

Exactly. Apple may get the chips early but it still takes time to create the product around the chip.

11. MKnight macrumors regular

MKnight

Most apps don't even properly utilize 2 cores as it is right now. The only benefit from 4 cores or more is virtualization or perhaps 3D animation.

If you're in one of those markets, a desktop machine is the way to go.

12. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

It might be a good idea to read some of the benchmarks for the 4 core vs. 8 core Mac Pros. I realize it's a totally different system, but it does show how in many cases, fewer faster cores do better than more slower cores...

13. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

a quad core nehalem 15.4" mbp would kick ass.

I hope it won't get hot though....and I'm sure battery time will take a hit...unless like the core 2 duo where some cores only get turned on if needed.

what do you guys think?

14. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

15. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

You said you need to really update.

Well there is no better time then after a refresh. As people have stated, there is no advantage in quadcores unless apps are written for them. Just because something is new it does not mean that its better.

Other golden rule with Apple, do not buy revision A :) By revision B most of the big issues are iron'd out.

I think your best bet is a current machine.