New MBP or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macgic, Dec 1, 2010.

  1. Macgic macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2007
    #1
    I am in the market for a new MBP. I looked at the buyers guide and saw it should be updated soon. Do macbooks get updated yearly like iphones do in july? If so when is that? Because I don't really want to wait too long.. :eek:
     
  2. Resist, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

    Resist macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    #2
    Wish I had a nickel for every time this question keeps popping up. :rolleyes:

    But no, Macbooks don't always get updated yearly. Sometimes when they are updated, the changes are small. Other times the changes are huge. If you are in the market for one now, then buy now. Otherwise you will always be chasing the next upgrade. I have found that Amazon and Micro Center have lower prices than buying directly from Apple. Or you could buy a refurb from Apple.
     
  3. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

    Mabyboi

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2010
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    #3
    As it says in the buyers guide, the 15 and 17" models just got their i7 upgrades, so there isnt going to be a SUBSTANTIAL change soon, probably jan/feb is what im thinking..
     
  4. JKK photography macrumors regular

    JKK photography

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2009
    #4
    I won't be waiting.

    I'm getting the 13 inch model, then switching out the HD for an SSD, and upgrading the RAM to 8GB soon after that.

    Should be pretty dang speedy by the end of it. :)
     
  5. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

    AdamRock

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2010
    Location:
    Toronto
    #5
    it will be updated on december 21 2012...just wait.
     
  6. drambuie macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2010
    #6
    This is a hypothetical scenario. Let's say you decide to wait for a revision. In a few months a new MBP line is introduced with hardware revisions. But, wait, you don't want to be an early adopter because there are usually issues with a new product. This occurs with all manufacturers, not just Apple. You watch the forums, and sure enough, there are glitches. After a month, or so, Apple releases a software update, but that doesn't really fix everything. Then, after another month, or two, Apple releases a firmware update, which fixes the oustanding issues, but has other unexpected side effects. Another software update is eventually released which appears to some of the issues. Then another update is released to address all remaining bugs.

    Finally, that MBP series is a fairly reliable stable product, so you decide it's time to buy, but wait. Six or seven months have passed and the Buyer's Guide advises not to buy as that series is reaching end of line, and a revision should be coming soon. And the cycle repeats.

    Personally, I think now is the time to buy, and I did so. A little over two weeks ago I bought a 15" MBP with 2.8GHz i7 CPU and hi-res anti-glare screen. This is the only configuration the Apple Store has with the anti-glare. It appears that Intel has done core optimization on the i7, because I have found this CPU to be fairly cool running and energy efficient. The screen is excellent, and the machine is very quiet. Also, the fit and finish of the case and lid is immaculate.
     
  7. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2009
    #7
    This.

    If you need it, buy it. If you can wait, wait. :) Also, to consider, it looks like mbp may be slotted for april release unless they are secretly collaborating to launch sandy bridge a few days after intel's announcement at ces.
     
  8. Yin macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2010
    #8
    The only source that states the new macbook pros will be released in April is t-gaap.com. They do not quote a source. So why is everybody so sure about the information?
    Personally, I think that April is way too late and believe the pros will be released in February. Reason:
    • SB will be out until then. Why wait?
    • Difference in time between the new model and the mid 2010 model would be over 350 days. Can't believe that Apple is going to do that, as this would be the largest time difference between two mbp releases (by over 40 days). And this calculation assumes that the new mbp is released on the 1st of April...
     
  9. croooow macrumors 65816

    croooow

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2004
  10. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #10
    The basic logic is, that if you need one now, get one now. Some places have them discounted for the Christmas season. For instance Microcenter has a 13" MBP for 999 which I picked up.

    I need one now, as I have trips planed later this month and I need a laptop.

    If you can wait,then that's always the best advise, but that doesn't mean we or anyone outside of apple knows when the laptops will get refreshed. The opinions of when seem to fall into two categories. January/February right after intel releases Sandy Bridge or April-June because apple has a history of waiting a few months before embracing a new chipset. Worst case is 2nd Qtr 2011, are willing to wait that long?
     
  11. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #11
    I did similar, but watched Microcenter's website for my local store and snagged an openbox MBP13 for $100 off the $999 price. If the next update is something I decide I want, I'll wait until Lion comes out and buy a new one then.

    It still all boils down to the fact that if you can wait and if it's important to have the latest and greatest system, then wait. Best is usually also to wait another couple months after release to ensure the bugs/issues with the first production runs are identified and (hopefully) sorted out. There will be plenty of gently used previous generation systems available on ebay or Craigslist if you then decide the previous gen is a better price/feature fit for your needs.
     

Share This Page