New MBP Order, LED vs non-LED?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bruno75, Feb 26, 2008.

1. bruno75 macrumors member

Hey guys. Well, I finally jumped ship from MS and ordered a MBP today as soon as I heard about the new updates. My question is thus:

I ordered the standard 1680x1050 matte screen. Do you guys think this was a mistake?

Basically, I've had 1920x1200 screens for my last two 17" computers which were Dell's and I've always thought it made things too tiny (in Windows, I've never used Mac OSX). I would get headaches after several hours of squinting. I've since gotten used to viewing 1920x1200 on a 24" widescreen LCD, but can't bear the thought of squeezing that res back into a 17" screen if I were to get rid of the LCD and use the notebook as a DTR. Also, I'm a casual gamer and I enjoy playing in native resolution, so I thought that the 8600m GT would probably be able to push a few games better at that resolution vis-a-vis 1920x1200. The only and major caveat that I can see is that the new HD screens are LED, whereas the 1680x1050 is not. I'm not concerned about battery life on the notebook since I'll always have it plugged in, and I'm not a photo or video junkie who needs crystal clarity for editing. For someone like me, do you think 1680x1050 was the right choice or should I cancel and go with the HD screen? The way I see it, I can always go 1920x1200 on an external monitor if needed. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I will basically be using the computer for productivity work in iWork, etc.. , surfing, email, some gaming (WoW, HL2, etc..) and watching many movies. I'm really torn between which screen to get.

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Hi Bruno, sounds like you made the choice right for you.

I say this because
    1. High resolution hurts your eyes
    2. You will be gaming. The extra resolution will result in lower FPS. Why didn't Apple just give their devout 17" fans the 8800m eh ;)

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

Resolution & glossy/matte are really a personal choice.

Neither affect resale all that much.

The question I have, is why you've titled the thread LED -v- non-LED?

The 17" screens are all LED backlit, aren't they?

Or are you meaning normal or high resolution screen?

4. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Nein, only the HD screens are LED. Sad, isn't it?

5. ajx22 macrumors regular

Only the 17" Hi-Res screen is LED. The standard res screen is still a standard florescent LCD.

6. bruno75 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I just booted back up into my XPS m1710 at 1920x1200 and I definitely can't take that res anymore, so it appears that 1680x1050 is my only option. I hope I'm happy with the LCD even though it's not LED backlit.

7. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I have that screen on mine (glossy). I absolutely love it.

8. Smurfed macrumors regular

Uhh, Since the updated GPU's have been upgraded to 512MB, Playing in higher resolutions shouldn't be a problem.

9. NKA macrumors member

Note: On your Windows system, change the display's DPI settings and it will scale the user interface so you won't have to squint.;)

10. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Doubling the memory on an iffy card isn't going to make it magically better.

11. eba macrumors regular

You made the right call, Bruno. I made the same choice for the same reasons.

12. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I can give you more buckets of water to put out the same fire, but if you can only throw so many buckets on the fire at a time, more buckets won't help much, eh?