New MBP ordered, where to buy memory from?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amjustice, Feb 26, 2008.

?

Who should I buy memory from?

1. Crucial

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. DMS

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Omni

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Other (Please Post your selection)

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  5. OWC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. amjustice macrumors 6502

amjustice

So I ordered my new MBP (2.6, 200GB 7200RPM, 2GB Memroy, etc). Now I want to get a 4GB Memory kit ordered. I am looking at 3 possible manufacturers. Which one would you go with and why? Any other suggestions? These are all pretty close in price so I just want the most reliable, fastest, best memory I can get.

Options:
    -4 GB from Crucial $109
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=2F964EB5A5CA7304
    -4 GB from DMS $110
    http://www.datamemorysystems.com/_memory-information/4GB_Kit_DDR2667_SODIMMs_190x2.asp
    -4 GB from Omni $160
    http://www.omnitechnologies.biz/cgi...tstr=HOME:A57:applelaptopmem:Macbook:Macbook2

An additional question, should I wait to order memory until they update the specs on these sites? I am pretty sure this is the same memory used in the last models and it shouldnt matter.

*Additional Note, I wanted to go with a manufacturer that provided lifetime warrenty, this has come in handy for me with memory in the past.

2. MacSchwigg macrumors newbie

I tried to order 4GB (2x2GB) through Crucial about half an hour ago and they said they were out of stock. I don't know if this is common or not, but just something to consider if you need your RAM ASAP. Anyone have another suggestion for reliable RAM at a similar price?

3. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

4. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

i just bought 4gb (2gbx2 matched) from OWC. I always buy my memory from them. They guarantee it, and service the mac community very well. Never had any problems.

5. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Enough with this OWC stuff

NEWEGG.COM Its the only place for me....

6. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Do you seriously need a POLL to answer this question? And all of the prices you listed are quite bad for 4gb of RAM.

Go to Newegg. You can get Kingston, Crucial, Mushkin, OCZ, etc. all for under $100.

This would be my pick:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227251

$72.99 after rebate for OCZ. It's PC2-6400, which is backwards compatible with the PC2-5300 that Macs use, and if you ever upgrade to Montevina it will be faster with that. OCZ has a good reputation and lifetime warranty.

7. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

FYI... doesn't ship outside of the US.

8. amjustice thread starter macrumors 6502

amjustice

9. physicistjedi macrumors newbie

I just ordered this one and a brand new MBP :D

10. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Except Montevina is going to use DDR3, not DDR2.

11. amjustice thread starter macrumors 6502

amjustice

Good luck finding DDR3, plus if you could it would not be worth paying for now, im sure it would drop in price by the time montevina comes down.

I actually see memory as being one of the advantages to buying now, to get memory upgrades in the next revision (montevina) is going to cost an arm and leg and will be using newer less reliable memory.