New MBP owner and mac user...just 1 question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by switchover101, Jul 10, 2009.

1. switchover101 macrumors newbie

Hi, as my name implies I just switched from using windows all my life to OS X with a 2.8ghz MBP. As I'm getting used to the OS and just browsing the web and listening to itunes, I notice I'm getting temps around 70-75c for my processor and and 60-65c for my 9600gt. The left palm rest is definitely warm and the metal above the keyboard is very very hot. Since I have this 14 day period, I wanted to know if these temperatures are normal considering I'm not really doing anything intensive and I haven't loaded any programs on the MBP yet.

Thanks for the help

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The MBP does run warm due to many factors

If you are interested, you can install smcFanControl to give you more flexibility with your fans and to bring your temps down

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

Swap it out for a new one, or try MacDawg's suggestion and download that app, which you can find here:

http://www.eidac.de/?p=134

If your fans get stuck at a certain speed for whatever reason, this can be fixed with an SMC reset, and a PRAM reset. Don't worry about that until/ if something goes wrong.

Good luck!

4. switchover101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I have no problem swapping it out for a new one I just wanted to know if these temps were above average for net browsing.

5. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

What's the ambient temperature of your room? If it's really warm (say 77F), then having the CPU at 70-75C could be normal with some usage. And, if you have the 9600GT switched on, the temps look fine.

Switch to the 9400M for browsing and general usage. It should run around 35C

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

They are not above normal,they are actually quite normal. The Macbook Pro uses the body of the computer as a heat sink which is why it gets warm, you're just not used to how Macs run. It's been like this for many years. Go ahead and swap it all you want, the next one will be the same, there's nothing wrong with them.

7. Snowbound macrumors regular

Yup those are fairly normal temps in my experience as well.

8. switchover101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats my point, theres no reason for me to swap it if its gonna be the exact same, since I've never had a MBP before I didn't know if those temps were normal or not. I just switched to the 9400m and my temps did go down considerably, but I like to have the 9600gt enabled for when I choose to connect to my 1920x1200 external monitor.

If my original temps are completely normal, I have no problem keeping it.

9. switchover101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Since I've switched to the 9400m gpu my cpu is at 50-55c and the 9400m is around 45c...I think this sounds about normal.

10. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

I wouldn't worry about it - they all get hot. They get hotter than you would think because it's not plastic. Aluminum dissipates heat very fast and is a great cooling conductor but one side effect is that it feels hot all the time. To a point, the hotter it is the more it's cooling. I also have SMCFanControl on mine and just bump them up to 2500 minimum (default is 2000) just for comfort's sake.
    Since you're new, I like to point people to http://www.iusethis.com to find some neat new toys. SMC can also be found there.
    Hope this helps and Welcome ...