New MBP owner got some external display questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chad H, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Hey guys,
    So far I am loving this machine! I love having as much or more power than my iMac but also having portablity. I'm considering getting a ACD either 20" or 23" for it so I can have a bigger screen at home but have the ability to remove it and take in on vacations/business trips. Now, here are my questions, I really don't know how to use the ACD. I am having trouble determing whether to use the screen as more real estate or just as a primary screen. Now regardless I will leave my MBP open(cooling) especially with the latter of the two. Also, what about the battery? Do you guys just leave it plugged in all the time? I will be using for MS office/i-Tunes/Web Surfing and basic financial stuff for my business. Also, I am selling my iMac if anybody is interested. $700 shipped. Below are the specs, I will post a full for sale thread later today or tomorrow.

20-inch glossy widescreen display
    2GB memory
    320GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT with 128MB memory
    Built-in iSight Camera

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well if you are going to buy an external monitor, the first assumption is you actually need it? If you don't need that must screen real estate, then you can use your external monitor as the primary display; if you choose to use it as a secondar, as I have seen many people do, it's very easy; it's all plug and play. As for cooling, you can run the computer with the screen closed, but don't put it in the drawer or something.

3. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I don't need the extra real estate that much which is why I might just get the 20" ACD. I am just gonna use it as my primary monitor until I need to take my MBP on the run.