Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2005
I got my MBP (15' 2.4Ghz 7200rpm drive) today and I have a few questions:

1. Dead/stuck pixels. I have at least 4 of them. In two groups where one group has 2 red pixels on top of each other (which won't come off with that java applet recommended by someone on here) and the other group has a grey fuzzy pixel (several stuck pixels?) next to another smaller fuzzy one. Both groups are almost smack in the middle of the screen. Is this unacceptable? What is Apple's policy on dead pixels?

2. Yellow tinting. I've read reports on this but I don't really know what the issue is exactly to a point it confuses me. How does one detect this? By looking at the screen from an angle? If so - I definitely have a yellow tint. But other than that it's fine. I was under the impression that the MBP update was supposed to fix this but it didn't. Haven't had time to fiddle with the calibration tool yet though.

3. I ordered the 7200 rpm drive - but how do I check to see that it really is installed? (what info should I look for in the System Profiler?)

4. Battery calibration. On Apple's website they tell you to first charge the battery - then let it run dry - wait and then fully charge it again. My MBP came with about 90% battery life - I figured I would skip the first step. Ok or not ok?

5. Keys that are not flat. Can I fix it by pulling the key off and putting it back in?

6. If I send it back to get it replaced (assuming they approve of that) - how long does it usually take to get the replacement?

amitface

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
Florida
I got my MBP (15' 2.4Ghz 7200rpm drive) today and I have a few questions:

1. Dead/stuck pixels. I have at least 4 of them. In two groups where one group has 2 red pixels on top of each other (which won't come off with that java applet recommended by someone on here) and the other group has a grey fuzzy pixel (several stuck pixels?) next to another smaller fuzzy one. Both groups are almost smack in the middle of the screen. Is this unacceptable? What is Apple's policy on dead pixels?

2. Yellow tinting. I've read reports on this but I don't really know what the issue is exactly to a point it confuses me. How does one detect this? By looking at the screen from an angle? If so - I definitely have a yellow tint. But other than that it's fine. I was under the impression that the MBP update was supposed to fix this but it didn't. Haven't had time to fiddle with the calibration tool yet though.

3. I ordered the 7200 rpm drive - but how do I check to see that it really is installed? (what info should I look for in the System Profiler?)

4. Battery calibration. On Apple's website they tell you to first charge the battery - then let it run dry - wait and then fully charge it again. My MBP came with about 90% battery life - I figured I would skip the first step. Ok or not ok?

5. Keys that are not flat. Can I fix it by pulling the key off and putting it back in?

6. If I send it back to get it replaced (assuming they approve of that) - how long does it usually take to get the replacement?

I can only answer #2. If your screen looks fine when you are looking at it from a normal angle, then the screen is fine. The yellow tint from odd angles is just a result of the technology. If the screen doesn't bother you when you look at it straight, it's perfect.

captan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2005
The "red" pixel is actually two green subpixels which are dead. On grey it appears red/blueish since the green component was dead. On green background they are black.

I tried calibrating the monitor and it looks better overall now and I think I'm spared off the yellow gradient issue thank god.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.