New MBP owner - some questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by creativedogmedia, Jun 26, 2011.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Big week for me....went from Blackberry to iPhone 4 and pc to MacBook Pro. Yikes.....

Anyway, looking for some advice.....I got outlook for Mac and have a couple of questions about it.

1. Is there anything similar to Xobni for Windows? That is the major thing I miss about the entire experience so far.....yes, there is spotlight search and that works ok. Any plug-ins avail?

2. I used to sort my email my received date with the newest email showing at the bottom of the emails. I have sorted outlook this way but the new email that comes in is at the bottom but I have to scroll to it. If I sort the opposite way it always shows the newest email. Does that make sense?

3. Is there something similar to Alt-Tab in windows to show open windows? I have used cmd-tab but it doesnt seem to do the same thing....

4. Any other suggestions for a new mac user?

Thanks!

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Hi there. Welcome to the Apple Kingdom :)

For the mail sorting question, I don't think there's a way to avoid scrolling if you want the newest messages on the bottom. You'd have to sort them newest-first if you want them without scrolling.

I believe it's the F9 key (using a non-Apple keyboard at the moment) to open the feature called Expose. Doesn't give the scrolling view like Windows 7, but does show all the windows and you can select the one you want.

3. cyc94 macrumors newbie

I dont understand your mail question.

If you want to change the order that of what is shown at the top/bottom , simply click where it says "Date Received".

And I still use Cmd Tab to switch beween windows the way I did in PC. Or you can press F3, to see everythat is open, or take four fingers and swipe downwards on your touchpad.

4. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

If I click date received and my newest mail is at the bottom when a new message comes in I have to scroll to see it. If I have it set the other way (new mail at the top) it automatically moves messages down and shows newest message.

Regarding cmd-tab, I was using that but noticed that it didnt show all open windows, just programs....i.e. if I open Outlook, click on new message and then have firefox open I can only cmd-tab between Outlook and FF (not showing the new email message window).

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

I can respond in detail to your post but I guess I will let GJStudios do it instead as he/she does a far better job.

6. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I'd be interested in hearing from you as well. Thanks.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

1. Spotlight works fine for me, it even has a calculator built right in, as well as dictionary.

2. I like mine the other way around, with the newest showing on top of the bunch, having it set as being at the bottom will result in having you scrolling all the way down in Apple Mail. I don't think Outlook for Mac is any different, though I haven't used it.

3. CMD-Tab works okay, but you might want to try exposé instead. I set it as a hot-corner in the upper right of the screen. It shows all open windows as a preview.

4. Enjoy it, it's not very hard to get used to if you're playing with it constantly :p

8. WiBu, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

WiBu macrumors member

Four-finger swipe down on the trackpad might be what you are looking for; alternatively you can press F3, it does the same thing IIRC.

9. MJNBGA macrumors regular

It's the f3 key that has the dedicated shortcut to expose. Als, in system preferences, you can configure a gesture. BTW, welcome to a better world. :D

10. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

There's a plugin for Thunderbird called SocialMail. It has most of the functions as Xobni.

http://alternativeto.net/software/xobni/?

11. jamisonbaines macrumors regular

command tab to switch programs
    command ~ to switch windows within a program

12. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Perfect..thanks.