New MBP Owner With Question Please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Toughbook, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Toughbook macrumors newbie

Toughbook

I'm all new to this Apple computer stuff, plenty of IOS devices though! I bought a new MBP a few weeks ago and have a questions about the battery.

On Coconut Battery it shows a full design capacity of 5770 with my battery only reaching 5564. It shows 11 cycles at 3%. Does this sound correct to you guys?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is less than 100%. It will fluctuate both up and down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you follow this tip.

3. Toughbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Toughbook

Thanks for the suggestions. I have read the FAQ section, but with it showing that I have lost more than 200 mAh in less than 2 weeks kinda concerns me and was looking for other thoughts. Does this mean if I continue to use my MBP in the same manner for 6 weeks I will lose close to a 1/5th of my design capacity? That is how it is looking to me.

4. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

no, battery health fluctuates. today alone i've gone from 96% to 99%. plus, if your battery is under 80% health with less than 1000 cycles and you still have applecare, apple will replace it. i wouldn't be worried.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you read the FAQ section, you would have your answer. It directly answers your question.

6. Toughbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Toughbook

Thanks Guitar. You gave me an example and educated me. Others just seem to like to show how stupid we are at times. For the same time and energy spent telling me to go look somewhere else they could have simply answered my question.

I should have known coming from a fellow Texan!

Thanks again!

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Never hurts to learn to fish for yourself.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I did answer your question. Why don't people read anymore? The process of clicking a link and reading is really not that difficult. It's like if the actual text is not copied and pasted into the same thread, people ignore it! It really can't get any plainer than this, which already had the bold text to make it easier to read:
    Forgive the rant, but it really gets old to post an answer or solution and have it ignored. If people take the time to respond and try to help, it would be nice if the person asking for help would at least take the time to read what's offered.

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Not sure what you are referring to, but GGJstudios said the same in his first reply to you.

My battery stopped fluctuating so much after a couple of weeks. Now it's very stable between 102.2 and 102.8% :)

10. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

he's right, OP. I was just taking what I knew to be in the battery FAQ and giving it to you. the rest of it is a good read, and is valuable information, if you haven't read it.

mine hovers around 98% most of the time, but i have 151 cycles.

11. Toughbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Toughbook

Guys, where did I speak of my percentages of battery life in my post? I am referring to the amount of mAh that it shows I have already lost that will not be recouped. I never said anything about 92 or 93% of battery life left. I'm sorry for the confusion on my part.

12. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

They're not referring to percentage left, I believe they're referring to the health of the battery; the ratio of the current capacity of the battery to the designed capacity of the battery.

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

we understand the question ... it has been asked 100s of times before.

the answer is still the same ... GGJ answered it in the very first reply.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I believe it is the same thing. All that % is showing you is a result of the equation 5564/5570=~99%.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1909

What you are seeing is described in this support article and is designed to prevent frequent battery charge cycles.

If you run on battery down to 80% or so, then recharge, you will see closer to the 100%. As long as a recharge after 80% or so gets you in the high 90s% don't sweat it.

I too find it baffling why some users who do provide so much helpful information get annoyed with a confused newb.

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not a matter of a confused newb, which my posting history proves I'm quite happy to help. It's a matter of the OP ignoring the helpful information that was provided and then criticizing the one who provided it. :rolleyes:

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Go back and review all your posts in say the last ten days and count the number of times you used the :roll eyes: (which you seem to enjoy). You can include the above as one.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you'll notice, I didn't use that with the OP or with newbies posting questions. I use it when responding to posts like yours.